15

Elizabeth

  The 25 year old brunette hummed a cheerful tune quietly to herself as she sat at her desk. She was in an amazing mood. Had a smile on her face and everything. She didn't really know why she was happy, but all she could think about was the kiss that she and Robert had shared on Christmas day. 

  Replaying that kiss in her mind, a light blush coated on her cheeks. She couldn't believe that Robert had feelings for her. She felt so lucky at that moment. Taking her quill, she finished the last stroke of her drawing that she has been working on. Setting the quill back in the ink box, she examined it with a satisfied smile on her lips. 

   Good lord help her, she was acting like a lovesick teenager

   Good lord help her, she was acting like a lovesick teenager. Try as she may, she could not help the butterflies and tingles whenever Robert appeared in her mind. And to her luck, that very same person walked inside her tent. Looking up, a wide smile appeared across her face as Robert walked up.

  Standing up from her chair and quickly hiding the drawing behind her back, she stood up and walked until she was face to face with him. "What are you doing here?"

  Robert didn't reply. He stayed silent. His face was static of emotion. This was unusual for him. She had a bad feeling about this. "Robert?" The girl asked hesitantly. "Are you alright?"

  Robert blinked. Coughing slightly, he snapped back into focus and nodded his head. "Yes, thank you for your concern General."

  Now this made her frown even more. Robert never used formal titles while they were alone. Something is definitely wrong. "What's wrong?"

  "This isn't going to work." Robert said abruptly, catching her off guard. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

  "I beg your pardon?" She asked. Robert let out an annoyed sigh.

  "I mean us." He said, gesturing the space in between them. "This isn't going to work."

  Rosie felt like she was punched in the gut. She found it hard to breath. Blinking rapidly, she shook her head in denial. "W-what? Why, I-I don't understand." 

  "I don't feel anything for you." Robert stated, making Elizabeth want to cry. This had to be a nightmare. A terrible nightmare. But why did it feel so real then? 

  "No-no." She denied. "I don't believe you."

  "You really thought, that I would feel something for you?" Robert stated, the words filling her with more and more despair. "We are at war, General, have you forgotten?"

  "But......." she stuttered. "The kiss!"

  Robert scoffed. "The kiss. Right. That was only the spur of the moment. I wasn't thinking straight."

  She didn't respond. Looking up at the ceiling, she tried her best to not cry in front of Robert; but the tears were already starting to form. It's a wonder how they haven't fallen down her cheeks already.

  She took a shaky breath before deciding to try another approach. She refused to believe it. She could not believe him.

  "What about everything else? Every moment that we have shared? Our friendship?" She asked, the desperation clear in her voice. She didn't even care if she sounded so pathetic at this moment. She couldn't loose Robert. She couldn't live without him. She couldn't imagine a world without him in it.

  "That's all it was." Robert said in a monotone voice. "Friendship." 

  "What did I do wrong?" She asked with a broken voice. Robert's Adam-apple bobbed up and down. 

  "Nothing." He answered. "I just don't have feelings for you. I am a Colonel. You are the General. We have more important things to worry about than a relationship. This is a mistake."

  "You must've been a good liar then. Certainly had me food." The girl said sadly, sniffling now and then.

  Blinking rapidly, the tears now started to fall down her cheeks. God how she hated crying. This was pathetic. When Robert turned around to leave, she grabbed onto his hand making him stop in his tracks. 

  "Please don't leave me." She whispered in a pained voice. "I can't live without you."

  A pause. Then he said something that will permanently scar her forever. "Then don't live."

  Her hands went slack of the grip from Robert's hands. The drawing fluttered to the floor, facing downwards (thank God). Staggering backwards, she was at a lose of words. Robert's back still facing her.

  The tears pooled down like a waterfall, moving rapidly and quickly. Clenching her fists, her entire body felt numb. Her heart felt like someone was physically squeezing it as hard as they could and then stabbing a thousand needles in it. This pain was worse than anything she had ever felt. She'd rather trade anything for this pain. She'd trade the battle field wound for it. She rather be dead than this.

  She couldn't take it. Running out of the tent, she had to be alone. With tears streaming down her face, she could hardly see her surroundings. Air. She needed air. Running and running. When she finally came to a stop, she wiped her tears and took a moment to view her surroundings.

  Turns out, there was a body of water at the edge and a large rock. Perfect. Numbly walking forward, she plopped down on the large rock and stared blankly towards the water. This was officially the worst day of her life. She did not know how long she was there for. And honestly, she did not care.

AUTHOR'S NOTE!!!

OKAYYYYYYYY, that went downhill real quickly didn't it? I have to say, I was actually about to cry while writing this lol. Poor Rosie. The aftermath will be worse though. how do you think rosie will take it?

okay, so um......... that's all I think. I got the covid vaccine today, the third booster shot and my arm hurts so sorry if this was a shorter chapter than normal. This is all I can put up right now. I hope ya'll enjoy this. Also, that picture of robert was not by me. Found it on the internet. Credits to whoever drew it.

  TWO CHAPTERS IN 1 DAY! I'm so generous lol.

THAT'S ALL!!

PEACE :)