Chapter 22. The Gala - Part 2

Eric backed away from Didi.  He was going to try his best to stay away from her for the rest of the night.  'For all I  know Tanya probably traveled with her gun'   He ran into his uncle, who did not miss anything.  He thought the man could have been a detective.  

"So you back with the assassin?

"No, I am not back anywhere.  You know I am still at the cottage, but this is something I had to do."  

"Ever thought about being a priest?" Linden teased.  

"No, but I am thinking there is much to be desired in being a recluse."

"Don't worry about this one; I got her,  but be careful of that one." Linden said looking over at Tanya.  

 Eric ran up to the podium. He whispered in Tanya's ear. "You are stunning." which left Tanya turning a bright shade of red. She was not expecting a compliment from him. 

"We want to know what he said to you Tanya," Gem hollered. 

"Nothing that you could identify with Gem." Eric responded and everyone laughed. 

Gem worked for one of the leading newspaper in the capital. The woman was good at what she did. She knew how to get information out of the unsuspected and always put her own twist on things mixing some truths with some lies.  She has been chasing Eric and Linden for years trying to get newsworthy stories about them.

Gem frowned.  She didn't like that response from him and the laughter from everyone. "I notice that you and Tanya arrived in separate cars, anything newsworthy you want to share?"

Eric smiled.  Bitch   "I had to be here before she did.  She almost didn't make it tonight, but here she is looking as beautiful as ever.  My only ask  is that you be nice.  Don't stress her out and send her into premature labor." 

The audience cheered for Tanya.  

"How is Sahita Willbrooks? I don't see her here. This is one of her favorite events." Gem said looking around.

"Thanks for asking. You are correct; my mother is not here tonight. She is a bit under the weather.  Gem there will be time for questions later.  Let's just get this show on the road." 

Eric dismissed Gem and commenced his opening remarks welcoming all the businessmen and their significant others.  He told a few jokes that had everyone in stitches. He reminded the men that they maybe the head of their family, but a head is nothing without a NECK and their wives were the neck. He looked lovingly at Tanya standing next to him, and she smiled and clapped for her husband as the rest of the audience joined in and cheered.

And then he opened the floor for dancing by reaching for Tanya's hand and leading her out onto the floor. He noticed that she was wearing her wedding band and he brought her hand to his lips and kissed the ring. He remembered that ring. He saved for months working his ass off while she was away at school, to get her that ring set. No one looking on could tell that they were miles apart. They knew that there were rumors of them splitting up and they also knew that many of the attendees came looking  to find out if the gossips were true.

Many of the attendees looked on puzzled as the couple danced.  Eric thought of bringing up the subject of the money she cleaned out of his account,  but he quickly changed his mind. If she wanted to leave, he would not stop her. He pulled her in close to him as they danced.   He gazed at her all serious.  Tanya thought that he would bring up the money by now. She had practically cleaned out his bank accounts, but not a word from him. He kept gazing at her and she at him. 

They walked around meeting their guests, as Daphne and Sunday watched with bated breaths. Daphne laughed and shook her head. "Those two are worthy of an Oscar." Sunday agreed. They looked over at Linden, talking to Didi. It was nighttime, but Linden saw fit to wear dark sunglasses at a black tie event. 

Consequences ( Book 3 in the Hijacked Of Innocence Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara