Chapter 55. The Unravelling

Tanya had barely walked through the door, EJ still in her arms and Dee behind her with several packages when the phone rang. Tanya reached for it but Becky picked up in the kitchen. She could hear Becky talking to Eric on the Kitchen phone as she listened on the Extension. He  told Becky  that he would not be home for dinner.

Tanya quickly intervened. "It's ok Becky, I got it." Becky hung up leaving Tanya on the phone with Eric.

"Hey Babe, I called you at work, but I missed you." Eric said.

"What is going on? I heard you told Becky that you wouldn't be home for dinner?"

"Yea, Lloyd and I are going to see Linden at his compound."  

"Is everything ok? Are we ok?" She asked. She didn't know if it was about work but something was off with him ... with them.

"Tanya of course we are ok. You and those two kids are my life. Do you understand that?"

Tanya didn't know what to think. Did she trust him? Yes she trusted him more than anyone in the world, but for some reason, call it six sense, her antenna went up when Eric said that he and Lloyd was going to see Linden. It was late evening and Linden lived on the other end of the island..

"Ok, I will wait up for you." She told him.

Eric sighed. He knew better than to tell her not wait up. "Love you babe,"

'Usually he would say something sexual, but not this time. He seems to be in a rush to get off the phone.'

"I love you too." She told him.

                                                                                                        ***********

Tanya made her way to the kitchen where Becky was fixing dinner. Tanya was very quiet as she get the kids their dinner. Her mind was on anything but dinner.

Her mind kept coming back to the call from Eric. 'What is going on with him? What was so important that couldn't wait or be handled by phone?'

All kinds of scenarios popped in her head. 'Was he living a double life with Mila and her kid? That was nothing new on the island. His father did it with Lloyds's mother. That was normal on the island. It happen all the time to married couple who appeared to be happily married.'

She called Lloyd to see if Eric was really with him. Lloyd didn't answer his car phone.  She couldn't risk calling Linden.  That would be too obvious, she thought.  Tanya had dinner with Ericka and EJ. She asked Becky and Dee to join them thinking having the company would keep her mind from wondering into the wrong territory. Becky kept watching Tanya as she spoon fed EJ his dinner.

"Slow it down Tanya. He is going to gag. The poor child can't eat fast enough. Want me to feed him?" Becky asked.

"I am sorry, what?" Tanya asked.

Nothing went by Becky. She knew something was wrong.

"You keep watching the door and looking at the clock and stuffing poor EJ without giving him time to swallow his food. You expecting someone?" Becky asked.

"No, I am not expecting anyone. Eric is late, that's all."

"He called you. He said that he would be late. So what is the problem? It's only 7PM."

"You are right. I dont know why I feel paranoid." But she knew. She was afraid that he was getting bored with her and might be tempted to cheat. She felt hot as she remembered their last time together by the pool. It was like making love to a different Eric. He acted so different and as she recalled the things he did and said made her wet just thinking about them. He scared her but at the same time he excited her. Were those the things he craved? She wondered. And the question that have always haunted her sprung into her mind. 'Am I enough for a man like him?'