Chapter 36. A Heart to Heart

Eric went looking for Tanya.  He needed to talk to her about  Ericka's birthday party ... if she was up to giving  one.  He noticed that her relationship with Ericka was somewhat strain as well. Tanya had emerged from the horrible experience, a different person, someone he himself barely knew and Ericka and the new baby gravitated toward Jess which only made Tanya more withdrawn.  

But Eric was glad for Jess.  She was great  with the kids. Tanya's mother after much persuasion from Tanya and Daphne agreed for Jess  to stay with Tanya a bit and help her.  Eric thought the woman agreed just because she was afraid that Jess would run away again.    

Ericka would be devastated if she didn't have a party.  That was all she talked about.  He walked toward the back deck.  He suddenly stopped in his tracks at seeing Luke.  Luke  had his back to Eric  and didn't  see  that  Eric was standing behind him.  'What the fuck?' 

Tanya looked up and saw Eric and she just froze.  Her eyes grew big with fear.  Was it his presence or was it what Luke was saying that cause her fear? Eric wondered.  Luke was leaning forward and holding her hand.  'What was he saying to her?'  Luke saw the look on Tanya's face and followed her gaze and landed on Eric standing there.  He slowly dropped Tanya's hand.  

Luke grinned at Eric.  "Dude, I just stopped by to say goodbye to Tanya.  I couldn't leave without saying goodbye." He explained.

'The fucker is as cool as a cucumber, while she is freaking out.'

Eric kept his eyes on Tanya who was fidgiting.  "Luke? I didn't know that you were here; you said nothing about stopping by when we spoke earlier."

"It didn't feel right leaving without saying goodbye to Tanya and the baby.  

"The baby is asleep, so you wont be saying goodbye to him."

"I thought  Lloyd would have told you  that I was here.  I hope I am not intruding.  I was passing by and I thought  why not stop and say goodbye"

'Why the fuck didn't you say that to me when we spoke earlier.'

"Lloyd let you in?"

"Yes, after he patted me down and took my weapons of choice, I thought his next move would be to tell you that I was out here with Tanya."   

Eric looked at Luke.  The two men stared each other down.

"Weapons are not allowed here; you should know better than to bring them here."

"You are right, I should have left them in the car.  I am sorry." 

'Always agreeing, always apologizing, always strategic'

"You headed to the airport?" Eric asked.

"As a matter of fact I am,"

"Come, ride  with me.  We need to talk.  I will drop you off at the airport."

"The car, I drove the rental car here."

"Leave the rental here; I will see that it gets return."

Tanya still looked pale and terrified.  Eric  smiled. "I promise to leave him in one piece."

Luke reluctantly nodded yes.  "I need to talk to you too." He said.

Eric reached down and kissed Tanya on the cheek, then on the lips.  He felt her trembled.   And he knew  it was not from need but fear.  He stood back and looked at her.  She looked so pale.  "You ok Babe?" he asked.

Tanya shook her head  yes.

"I will be right back."

"Take care of yourself  Tanya ... and give that little boy a kiss for me." Luke said and saluted her.