Chapter 29. Then Face to Face

Tanya stood in shock and watched the familiar figure walked towards her. It felt like de ja vu.  She was reminded of  her  trip to New York... the trip that changed her life forever.  She looked at him her eyes bulging. She could not believe what she was seeing. She looked back at her husband and it was obvious from the look on his face that he was seeing what she was seeing. She felt sick and felt like her bladder was going to defy her. She was going to pee herself. She squeezed her legs tightly together.

"Tanya, what a pleasant surprise!" He exclaimed.

She watched stunned as Eric made his way towards them. She did not recognize the accent. Tanya turned toward the voice. His regular island accent was gone. What accent was that? Was it American? She could not be sure. He looked like her husband but he didn't sound like him. She shook her head fiercely, knowing what was about to happen.  Luke would be badly hurt or killed and the  wedding would be ruin and they would all blame her, she just knew it.  He was so enraged.   His eyes blazed with anger as he bit under his bottom lip.

Finally face to face. She looked from one to the other and she was just dumb struck.

"What the fuck are you doing here and near my wife?" Eric shouted.

Luke held up his hands in a gesture of surrender. "The same thing you are doing here man. You didn't think I would miss our cousin's wedding, did you?"

The girl that stood behind Luke looked as panicked as Tanya.  No one bothered to introduce her.  It was as if she was invisible. Eric was just fuming, breathing heavily through his nose. He had clearly lost control.

"Calm down Eric, I  just said hello.  That was all." Luke said rather calmly.

Tanya could not believe the stance Luke took. 'Is he crazy? Is he seriously trying to provoke Eric?

"Calm down? I will calm down when I crush your fucking head with my bare hands or on a fucking rock," Eric pounced.

It was a good thing that the music was blasting, so no one could hear what was being said between the cousins. Tanya kept shaking her head no, begging , pleading with Eric with her eyes not to do anything stupid.  It was as if she lost her voice.  She opened her mouth but no sound came out.  Her eyes fill with tears. Eric pulled her to him and he held her tight.

"Hush It's ok, I wont crush his fucking head." he whispered.

'not here not now.'

The girl looked from Luke to Eric.  "Lucas what the hell is going on?"

No one responded to her questions.  She  pushed her hand out to Eric and Tanya.  "I am Emily Griffin, I am a doctor; I could  take a look at you. You don't look well?" The woman said to Tanya.   Eric ignored her hand and so did Tanya and she quickly dropped it. Eric led Tanya away to the side, where she could sit. He was concerned about her. She still hadn't said a word since her encounter with Luke. Luke and his friend followed, equally concerned about Tanya's well being. Eric stopped one of the servers and asked for some water for Tanya.

Tanya took a sip of the water and then she spoke. She looked her husband in the eye. "This has to stop Eric. How can your heart be so fill with hate, and with that same heart be capable of loving me or anyone? Is it love you have for me or something else?"

Eric looked at his wife. He had no answer for her.

Emily kept staring at Eric and Luke as if puzzled by something. One could clearly see the physical similarities between the cousins, but that was where their similarity ended. The contrast between them couldn't be more pronounced, Eric being the hot head with the gangster persona and Luke the cool head, the boy any girl would bring home to mama.