Chapter 38. Are We Done?

Tanya stared at Ericka dressed like a little boy. She did not like it. 

"I don't like you treating my daughter like a boy." Tanya said.

"For heavens sake how am I treating her like a boy? I have my boy right here." He said holding up EJ into the air.  "Oh which reminds me I never gave you a special gift, what is it you women call it? A push present?" 

'My freedom would be nice.'

"Look at her.  Anyone seeing her would think she was a boy," Tanya pointed out. 

"I am taking her with me on the site. She can't wear a dress or dainty shoes."

"Then don't take her with you then." Tanya was losing the case.

"I want to go with Daddy," Ericka interrupted and grabbing on to her father's legs.

"Here take your son." Eric said handing over EJ.

Tanya froze. "Eric please, he is going to cry."

Despite her protest, Eric handed over the baby to Tanya. "You can't hide out from him forever; let him cry." Eric said.

EJ went to his mother without a fuss, but the minute Eric turned to leave, his lips started to turn up as he watched his father leave. The door shut and EJ let out a scream as if Tanya was killing him. Tanya tried in tears to hush him. She handed him over to Jess and within seconds he rested his head on Jess's shoulder and stopped crying.

"You are like a handbag, going from hand to hand." Jess told her baby nephew.

"See what I mean. He stops crying the minute you took him." Tanya pointed out.

"Well maybe he knows that you wished that he was a girl and he is just mad at you."

Tanya looked at her son as he stared back at her with a pout.  He was only weeks old but already he had Eric's personality.  Tanya sighed deeply. "Yes he is mad at me. He is already just like Eric. Last time he was mad at me it took years for him to forgive me.'

"Give him time Sis. He has been through a lot just like you have." 

The phone rang and Jess picked up.  "No this is not Tanya.  Who is this?"

"Julia," Jess whispered and passed the phone to Tanya.  

Tanya had not communicated with Julia much since that life altering trip to New York where she met Luke.

"Hey whats up?" Tanya asked.

"Girl, that baby boy is so frigging cute, so much hair ... he looks too much like Eric ... nothing for you." She gushed.

Tanya was puzzled.  The only place EJ  went was to the doctor. "Where did you see the baby?" 

"Luke, he brought back pictures.  Oh my gosh Ericka is the most beautiful little girl and again she looks like that ass hole Eric.  Luke is right here, want to say hi to him?"

Tanya froze, before she could answer, Luke was on the phone.  "Hello Princess.  (pause) Tanya? you there?"

"Yes," she answered still disturbed by the call. 

"You dont sound too good. "So how are you doing?"

"Still trying to cope."

There was a pause.  "Where is Eric? Is he there?"

"No, he is back at work," 

"Why don't you take a break from everyone  and everything there and come here for  a week or so, see Julia, me, your brother ...  a change of scenery  may do wonders for you."