1̴̳̲̎̐3̶̙͔̑̃.̷̢̲͓͉͎̻̱͙̙̚5̸̯̹̯͉͒̀̇̈́͒̅̉̌̋̎͗̍͘

============================

⚠️ WARNING ⚠️

⚠️ CHAPTER 168 MANGA SPOILERS IN THIS CHAPTER!!! ⚠️

Kanae held my hand as we walked, her smooth palm softly grasping my scarred and rough one like a feather. I flushed slightly at her behavior and averted my attention by glancing down.

Kanae and I have gotten along better than everyone else since I became a hashira a few months ago; we've essentially become inseparable and are already best friends. After Tengen's many attempts to abduct me and take me on a mission with him, Kanae became enraged by this and ordered me to hold her hand to ensure Tengen didn't abduct me without Kanae intervening. In short, I haven't seen Tengen since Kanae began to hold my hand.

She swung our hands playfully as we walked to Kagaya's estate for a meeting. She smiled as she began to talk. "I heard there's a new hashira coming in." She stated while keeping her gaze forward.

My mouth parted and my eyes widened, I turned to the woman with a tilted head. "Really? Where did you hear that?" I inquired.

She turned to me, a smile still gracing her features. "I heard a rumor from some of the kakushi who work with master. They were working at the butterfly estate for the week and they told me about him possibly promoting a new pillar!" She exclaimed. "Isn't that great! I wonder what they're like? I wonder what breathing style they use!" She had stars in her eyes.

I deadpanned. "We don't even know if that's true yet and you're already fangirling over them." I sweatdropped at the woman beside me.

She chuckled. "Come on, don't tell me that you're not excited either!" She huffed while lightly grinning. The sun shone on her features, making her seem goddess-like.

I sighed with closed eyes before opening them again and looking into her bright lavender eyes. "I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested." I stared at her softly while she chuckled.

"I thought so" She spoke lightly and I softly smiled at her.

She has been the most helpful person in my time of need and has acted as a carer to me since Jomei and Akahana's passing. She would listen while I expressed my problems. For that, I cherished her.

We soon reached the site of the meeting and as usual, Uzui was flexing to Gyomei about how great he is. Once he recognized our presence, Tengen turned to me and Kanae. He grinned at me and was about to speak until he caught Kanae's deadly gaze while she tightened her grip on my hand. Tengen froze and cleared his throat before exhaling nervously and adjusting his collar. "Hello there, Kanae-san. Looking as flashy as ever, I see. (Y/N)-chan, you look as beautiful as the last time I saw you." He spoke nervously and I held back a light chuckle.