ten

Maude

Going to the bar every Saturday night is a pretty regular occurrence now. Everyone decides on a bar and we all go to hang out for the night. Most people find someone to hook up with for the night, but there are also nights we just want to have fun.

Cassidy didn't come today, just wanting to spend the weekend with Noah which I can't knock her for. If I had a boyfriend who wanted to spend all his time with me, I'd drop everyone to be with him. But no, I have a weird situationship with a guy who leaves me under desks.

Harry has been very apologetic about the whole desk thing, but we've both also been a little too nervous to make plans to meet in person. The second we plan something, that makes this real. That would be us committing to doing this really bad thing.

We've been texting though, slowly starting to dip our toes into this. He's actually pretty sweet and is always checking in throughout the day to see what I'm up to and if I'm doing well. He's also a pretty busy guy so texts are kind of few and far between.

I'm still not sure what our status is, or if we'll ever really commit to having sex, so why not just flirt around tonight while I'm out? It's just for fun and to be satisfied, and free drinks.

Tonight, Logan is the guy I've set my sights on. He's sweet and hot and we're definitely hitting it off already. We've danced for a little bit and talked, and I'm pretty confident he's coming home tonight.

I excuse myself for a second when Kayla comes to ask me to go with her to the bathroom, taking a sip from my drink as we make our way through the crowd.

Since I don't have to pee, I stand by the sinks, checking my phone for the first time tonight. A small smile takes over my face when I see there's a text from H.

What are you up to tonight?

For a second I wonder if he had plans to ask me to come over, and my heart races as I text back.

Out drinking w friends, what about you?

Kayla comes out of the bathroom, going to the sink to wash her hands as I shut my phone off and put it back into my pocket before she could see that I'm texting someone. There's no way she'd know it's him, but it still makes me nervous.

"We missed you the other day at the study sesh. How was that family dinner thing?" She asks, glancing over at me.

"I'm sure you did. And I mean, it was fine. It was family, so whatever." I shrug, lying through my teeth.

She smiles, drying her hands with a paper towel before leaning against the counter, facing me. "Charlie missed you a lot." She teases, making my eyes roll.

"Charlie is a friend, Kay. I'm not interested in him like that. Plus I'd never sleep with someone in the friend group." I remind her, running a hand through my hair.

"I know, I know. But I want to see you happy, Maude. I know you say you like not being attached, but aren't you lonely?" She asks, pouting. Whenever Kayla gets drunk she takes it upon herself to try to convince me that dating someone and being in a committed relationship is the best thing for me. I know she means well, but sex is just easier.

Plus now Harry is in the picture and it's not like I can just come out and say that we're seeing each other.

Reaching over, I hug her side, "Kay, I am very happy. Maybe one day, but I'm too busy to dedicate time to a real relationship. I need to focus on school and guys just don't fit into that schedule."

She sighs, nodding as she hugs me back, "I know. I just hope you know you're worth more than one night stands and sleazy guys."

Now that makes my heart hurt a little bit. Not just because she cares about me so much, but because she would probably be so disappointed in me if she knew that I was planning on sleeping with my professor, or that last night I hid under a desk for him.