sixty three

Harry

The stress levels in my body have been cranked up to the extreme since Maude told me what Lance has been up to. As if I didn't think the bastard could get any worse, he just had to add psychotic extortionist to his resume.

I guess in a way, his sudden determination to ruin my life makes sense. We're approaching four years to the date of when I found him in bed with my girlfriend, and I'm sure the revelation that I'm with his sister only infuriates him.

Good. Let him seethe in anger at the thought of me taking up space at the dinner table over the holidays. Let him lay awake at night, thinking about how Maude is in my bed. He doesn't care about his sister, he just cares that it's me who's with her. The man who failed him. The man who's going to win this case against his father.

He doesn't even know the mess he's created for his side of the case. Not only can I go to the judge about his attempt to extort his sister for information, I can use this to my advantage. Mitch and I can plant traps for the Sterlings to walk right into, leading us to our victory. If he wanted to have a career in blackmail, he should've become a politician.

Maude, Mitch and I have been discussing ways to take advantage of this door Lance has opened up for us. She's been using the new phone I got her, just until we get her old phone back from my guy who's investigating if it's been bugged. And if it's taking this long, I'm guessing it was. I also sent someone to her apartment while Cassidy was in the library studying to investigate her apartment. They turned up with quite a few hidden microphones throughout her room and living spaces.

As a result of the search of her apartment being successful, I put my foot down when it came to her living arrangements. Even though it's only been a handful of days since the run in with Lance, it's become increasingly clear she's not safe at her apartment. God only knows what crazy lengths Lance will go to in order to destroy me, and given the circumstances of the case we're trying, I'm not planning on finding out.

The only downside? Maude still refuses to tell Cassidy anything. She's adamant about keeping Cass out of it, but at this point I can just feel the impending explosion that's building. Cass knows, we all know that, and I think that's what is making Maude so resistant. She's stubborn as fuck and refuses to admit when someone else is right. I know first hand since we're having that argument now.

The stress is getting to her, and I understand. Someone she doesn't know is following her, our relationship is seconds away from being exposed, her brother is blackmailing her, and finals are next week. I know that if she at least tells Cassidy about what's going on, it'll lift a weight off her shoulders. She needs her best friend right now, and she's actively pushing her away. Cassidy knowing is the least of our issues right now.

Will knowing has proven to be one of our greatest assets right now. He's been Maude's cover while she stays with me. Cassidy thinks Maude is staying at his place, having told her that Lance is in town until the holidays and she's just trying to avoid him. Now that the bugs are out of the apartment, she's been spending more time there during the day again, but she still sleeps with me at my place.

I made sure to speak to Will on Monday for a few minutes, wanting him to know that I appreciate him keeping this between us for now. He surprised me for sure, saying that Maude deserved a better family than what she was given and that he'll always be there to support her. He even threatened me, telling me I'll regret it if I hurt her, just like a good brother would.

She doesn't have bad friends at all. Will is so worried about her, wanting to take her under his wing at any chance he can. Cassidy is the same way, just wanting to see her friend happy and safe. Even Charlie cares deeply for Maude, though his affection for her takes a turn from the familial kind of love the others have for her. I just wish she could see that, yes they may be annoyed at our relationship at first, but at the end of the day they love her and want her to be happy. They wouldn't throw us under the bus the way another random student would.