thirty four

Harry

The only thing getting me through today is that I get to have a chill night in with Maude tonight. If I didn't have that to look forward to, I think I would go insane.

Until then, I get to mentor Charlie for the day, mainly because Mitch is tired of him bothering him all day. He definitely is committed to the team and asks a lot of questions but it keeps me busy I guess and helps pass the time.

We've made some pretty big breakthroughs in the case these past few days, but I'm nervous that it doesn't matter how much evidence we find and are able to pull out in court. After doing research on similar cases that the Sterlings have handled, they are skilled at getting evidence thrown out. That makes me more nervous than anything, since the evidence is obviously all we have when it comes to getting our client out of this, and to point the finger at their client. I'm almost tempted to ask Maude to join our team and help us make a foolproof case against her family, but I don't want to put her in a weird position.

We're already on thin ice right now as a couple. I didn't think Wednesday night would end the way it did, and I'm hoping I can make things right tonight. Sex is the last thing we need as a couple, and I think more than anything we just need to talk and get a little refresh. We'll bounce back from this, I know we can, but the start of a relationship is always rocky especially when you add in all this sneaking around.

All I can hope for is that this is the end of that jealousy over my friendship with Juliet. It's not like I spend every single minute of my days with her, at most I'll see Juliet once or twice a week for a couple minutes, which should honestly make her feel better that we're not these super inseparable friends. I'm in deep with Maude and I don't want her to ever think I'm not.

I do feel bad that she had to ask me if it was okay to study with Will today, because that's now what I want for our relationship. I'm not in charge of her, who she hangs out with when I'm not around really isn't any of my business. I trust her enough to know that she won't cheat on me, and that if some guy tries to kiss her or something that she'll tell me. I also know that she values our relationship enough to turn someone down if they flirt or something.

Things are just weird for now, but they'll get better and we'll be stronger than ever.

I'm honestly glad Maude was with Will today. It means she feels comfortable enough to make plans with her friends. I don't want her to hide away and never go out with them and have fun again, because these are the years where she should be doing all that. We joke about it, but I'm older and definitely past the partying scene. I'm more into the dinners with good friends stage of life. I don't want her to miss out on this stuff just because she's with me, but I do want her to be safe while she's out.

While Charlie is busy writing down some nuggets of wisdom I gave him about being a good and thorough lawyer, I glance down at my phone, sighing when I don't see any messages from Maude. Granted, she's studying and she never checks her phone when she's studying. I have tried not to bother her since I know she's busy, but I did send her a quick message about dinner later and if it was alright if I made a chicken and pasta dish, which she was more than happy with.

"Professor?" I hum to acknowledge him, sitting back in my desk chair. I always hate having students in my office here, considering it's the only time I get to be away from them. "I know it's not my place to ask, especially considering Maude is my friend..." My heart sinks a bit and my eyes narrow as I look at him, nervous for what he might say next. "But the Sterlings, they're clearly being unethical if they're trying to let this guy get away with murder?"

I sigh, half relieved that he's just asking about her family and not calling us out on our relationship. We're still in the clear. "Charlie... I just don't think it's that black and white. Like we've talked about in class, there are people who go to jail for things that they shouldn't like weed, and there are people like OJ Simpson who murder people in cold blood and can get away with it. My job is teaching you the law and how to execute it. But at the end of the day, it's up to you to decide how you want to do your job. Do you want to be someone who helps those people who are put in federal prison for weed get out, or do you want to be someone who helps criminals get away with things? It's all up to you."