ninety two

Maude

It feels like a dream, laying in bed wrapped up in Harry's strong arms. His loving embrace.

We've been awake for a while now, but neither one of us has made an effort to move. We don't even dare to speak. We just know we're awake, and we're soaking in these moments together.

Sleeping with him didn't change my mind. Being in bed with him right now doesn't change my mind. I need my space, if anything this solidifies that. But I can't deny that I'll miss him. Or that I love him.

Last night was one of the best nights of sleep I've had in a while. Maybe it's because I had a long day and the sex just really depleted the last of my energy. Or maybe it's because I was finally in bed with Harry again. Falling asleep in his arms, surrounded by his scent, I felt safe.

His breath is steady on the back of my neck, his forehead pressed against the back of my head. His arms are wrapped around my front, one hand holding my shoulder while the other rests against my stomach. I hold his hands there, grounding myself in the reality of the situation.

I'm here, with Harry, in bed.

It feels different from the last time though. I know I can't stay, even though he may want me to. I don't have clothes here to change into since he sent everything back, which means I'll have to do a walk of shame back home. But at the same time, though it may feel different, it's not entirely a bad thing. It feels like we've grown in the short time we've been apart. Probably not much, but it's a start for sure. One that we've needed.

Still silent, Harry nuzzles his head further into my hair, pulling me closer with a deep breath in and out. I cuddle back toward him, rubbing my thumb against his hand gently. It's a pretty dull day from what I can tell from out his window, but those are my favorite types of days this time of the year. I'm glad I get to spend a morning like this with him.

It's a good day to say goodbye.

I turn my head gently, not quite able to see him since his face is so hidden behind me. In response to my movement, he squeezes me softly, pressing a kiss to the back of my neck. My eyes flutter closed at the gentle feeling of his lips, so careful.

Finally, I fully commit to turning around in his arms to face him. He lets go of me for a second, letting me settle in before holding me close again. I can't bring myself to look at his face, so I bury my face into his neck. He caresses my hair, a soft chuckle escaping him.

"It's so short now." He mutters, so quiet I could barely hear it. His lips find a spot on my head to kiss again.

"It is." I whisper back, resting my forehead against his neck. I could feel it shift, a feeling I recognize as him smiling.

"Beautiful."

We're quiet again. My fingers trace over one of the bird tattoos on his chest while he continues to play with my hair. I could feel his heart beating like crazy under my touch even though he's trying to play it cool on the outside.

Time passes. I'm sure Cassidy and Noah are probably scrambling trying to find me, especially since I didn't come home last night. Harry and I stay put in his head, procrastinating the inevitable. I don't even know if we'll build up the courage to talk about the harsh realities of life we've had to face. Either way, it'll end with us saying goodbye for now.

He'll always be around, I mean my dad and him still have this case. And his firm is right in the area where I'll be attending school for the next two and a half years. The chance of our paths crossing again is high, but I also know that there's a chance we both just really take the time to move on fully.