fifty three

Cassidy

November 27th. Maude's twenty-third birthday.

Usually we spend the day together, finding good Black Friday sales and we'll end the day at a fancy restaurant to have dinner with her family. It's been a tradition, something we've done every year since we met. Except this year.

I've been conflicted today, but I put our little argument to the side to wish her a happy birthday. She's still my best friend at the end of the day, and I want her to see that I'm not mad at her, just at the situation as a whole. I've seen Maude through many many relationships, and I've seen how time and time again she gets used by these men. She's just not strong enough to recognize when she's being taken advantage of in a relationship, and I've always had to be the one to save her from some pretty messed up situations.

The last thing I want is for her to get hurt and I won't know anything to be able to help her. She's obviously not telling her cousins or Lance about whatever relationship she's in, and you know, I don't blame her for that. But I'm her best friend. She should tell me at least. The only person she even opened up to in the slightest was Will last week. That's the only reason I knew she was going through a breakup, but even then she didn't tell me a thing. It sucks to know that she was dealing with so much alone, since all I ever want is to help her.

She hasn't texted me back yet, actually my text hasn't even been delivered and when I try to call it goes right to voicemail which just tells me that she shut her phone off completely. Weird considering she's glued to her phone when she's at her parents' house. But it's her birthday and she's probably busy anyway. I just hope I can talk to her soon.

This wasn't how I saw law school going. I pictured partying with my best friend on the weekends and spending the weekdays chugging coffee and studying for our courses in the apartment. Instead, she's like nowhere to be found. I feel like I never see her anymore and we live together.

Hopefully when she gets back we can talk this all out. Have I been harsh with how I'm approaching this with her? Yes. But I'm just worried about her. She clearly has strong feelings for whoever she's seeing, but I don't even have a name past 'the stormtrooper guy'. I don't get what the big deal is and why she won't give me anything about this guy.

The curiosity about who Maude is dating grows daily, and has become a pretty prevalent topic of conversation when she's not around. We just all feel like if she's really happy she shouldn't feel like she has to hide anything. We'll support her no matter what.

When the door opens, I look over from my spot on the couch, hoping it's Maude coming home early. Instead, Noah walks in with Charlie right behind him. I smile softly at them. "Hey guys!"

Noah walks over, leaning over the back of the couch to give me a kiss before going to my room. "This one was hanging around the entrance downstairs so I figured I'd let him up. Maude's back?" He asks, raising his voice so we could hear him while he changes out of his gym clothes in my room.

"Hey Charlie, just make yourself comfortable. And no, she's not back yet. She said she's coming home tomorrow but I'm getting a little nervous because her phone is off. Might just call Spencer and see if she's okay." I pick up my phone, checking to see if my messages to her have been delivered yet and there's still nothing.

Charlie sits down across from me on the other couch, sighing. "Yeah I tried wishing her a happy birthday but my call wouldn't go through. Hey, have you guys talked since the whole study group showdown?"

My eyes roll slightly as I close my laptop and set it to the side. "Yes and no. She texted me that night saying she wanted to talk, we wished each other a happy Thanksgiving, but other than that nothing. I was trying to wish her a happy birthday today but you know what's going on with that. If she doesn't come home tonight then we'll probably talk tomorrow." I explain, running a hand through my hair.