forty five

Maude

The Sterling family gala is a tradition in the Harvard community. Usually the weekend before Thanksgiving, our family hosts the gala in the Harvard Art Museum to raise money for some charity so my dad can get a tax break or something. My grandfather started the tradition pretty early on in his career, and we've kept it up ever since. The entire family is encouraged to go, but this is my first year attending as a student at the university.

Thankfully, in addition to Spencer, this year I get to have some friends to keep me company throughout the night. Will, Charlie, Cassidy and Noah were all able to attend tonight, and they've been keeping Spence and I entertained while our father and uncles and Lance go on and on about the important work they do. Mainly they use this night to network and brag about all the cases they've tried and won. I use this night as an excuse to get blacked out, but this year my stomach is in knots just thinking about the circumstances surrounding this event.

Will has definitely been keeping me grounded tonight, which is something I really needed. I nearly had a panic attack in my room at the thought of having to be in the same building as Juliet again. She has to go to the gala because she's part of the committee, and I can only hope and pray that she doesn't bring a plus one with her.

Holding the glass of champagne I've been nursing since I walked in, I stand with Will, Spencer, and my dad, who's been lecturing Will about the best qualities lawyers need to have in order to be successful. I was surprised that dad took a liking to Will, since he never really likes me befriending guys because he thinks I'm dating them, but he's even offered Will a summer position at the firm, which is big for my dad. He rarely lets anyone join the firm if they're not family.

As the two of them get deeper into conversation, I notice Lance waving to me from the corner of my eye, and when I look over, he motions with his head for me to follow him. Quietly, I excuse myself from Will, Dad and Spencer, and follow Lance down a hallway. This should be fun, I'm sure.

When we're alone, he turns to me, putting his hands in the pockets of his pants with a smug smile. "Have you considered what we talked about at dinner the other night?" Of course he would bring up Harry right now.

"Lance, you're such a dumbass. I'm not spying on the opposing counsel for you. If you're too insecure in your abilities where you feel the need to have spies on the inside, maybe you shouldn't have taken on the case." I argue, my eye contact strong and unwavering.

Lance purses his lips together, hiding a smirk, "Is Will your boyfriend? Or is he just using you to get in good with our father? Is he working on the case?"

My eyes roll. "Will is not my boyfriend, he's just a friend, dad requested that he came to the gala. And no, he's not working for Harry-"

"Harry?" Lance asks, his lips tugging up in an amused smirk as my eyes widen at the realization that I slipped up. "I think you mean Professor Styles, Maude."

"Exactly. Dad has just been calling him Harry all night and it was a slip up." I make up, my heart pounding as Lance eyes me curiously. My hand grips onto the stem of the champagne glass, not sure what to do next. No sudden movements though.

"So if Will isn't your boyfriend, well then who is? You're Maude Sterling, you can't go ten seconds without searching for validation from men."

"I don't have a boyfriend and I'm not having this conversation with you." I turn to walk away, not wanting to be in this room anymore.

"Do you want Will to be your boyfriend? Or do you want Harry to stop being your fuck buddy and make a commitment? That's why you won't spy, right?" He accuses, and I know I must look flushed and flustered after this. Instead of giving into Lance and talking myself into a hole I can't get myself out of, I walk away, downing the rest of my champagne on my way back to rejoin the party.