fifty four

Maude

"Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday dear lovie... Happy birthday to you!" Harry's soft voice singing coaxes me to wake up,  and the first thing I see is Harry holding a cake with a bunch of candles on top.

He grins at me, watching as I slowly sit up in bed, holding the covers to my chest. "Baby..." I can feel my face turning red. Bashfully, I cover my face with my hands.

"Come on, you have to make a wish!" He urges, softly laughing at my reaction to this wake up call. Finally I look over at him, unable to think of anything but him. He's everything I could ever possibly want, what else is there for me to wish for? I guess a lifetime with him, and spending every birthday with him like this. So I lean forward, blowing out the candles before kissing him. He can't fight the grin on his face as we kiss.

When we pull away I smile at him. "This is so sweet. What time did you wake up to make this?" I ask, looking at the cake. It definitely looks homemade, decorated with sprinkles and those sugar letters that spell out 'Happy Birthday Lovie' and what I would assume is 23 candles. Maybe 24 if he's one of those people that add one for good luck.

"After you went to sleep last night I snuck out of bed and made the cake. I decorated it this morning like twenty minutes ago. Anyways, happy birthday, baby. I love you." He smiles, leaning forward again to kiss my lips. It's sweet and gentle, full of love and care. My favorite kind of kisses. He pulls away with a smile, "I brought two spoons, figured cake for breakfast is appropriate for the birthday girl."

I giggle, watching as he sets the cake pan down on the bed and gets the two spoons he left on the nightstand. I get to work taking the candles off of the cake and setting them down onto a napkin he brought. "Cake for breakfast is always the right answer, especially during a birthday." I giggle, thanking him as he hands me a spoon.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a slut for a good funfetti boxed cake, it's better than any other type of cake out there in my opinion. And the little tubs of frosting that are in the baking aisle are the best frosting in the world. Anything else is too rich and thick and makes my stomach hurt. I've been known to keep a tub of frosting in the fridge and eat it by the spoonful.

Digging into the cake, I smile over at him. "Thank you for such a sweet wake up." I don't think I'll ever get over hearing him sing. Even though it was just the happy birthday song, he sounded great.

"Well it's your birthday, babe. Had to do something special for my girl. Speaking of, I have a gift for you. And if it wasn't snowing out, I'd suggest we go out but it's probably for the best we stay in." He explains, making my heart all warm and fuzzy.

"You didn't have to get me anything, baby. This trip was more than enough." I mean it too. Just as long as I have him, I'll be the happiest girl on the planet.

He shakes his head. "No way, I have a lot of ground to make up and there was no way I was letting your birthday pass without getting you a gift. Here, hold on, I'll go get it." He says, shoving a spoonful of cake in his mouth before getting out of bed and disappearing out of the room again.

I laugh to myself, shaking my head as I take another bite of cake. Reaching over to my phone, I make sure to shut it off, wanting nothing more for my birthday than to just be alone with Harry. Just being in the moment and not getting distracted by my phone every five seconds because someone I never talk to is calling to wish me a happy birthday. I'll message everyone back tonight, but the best thing anyone could get me right now is the gift of leaving me the fuck alone.

Harry comes back in with his hands behind his back, clearly holding something but I'm not allowed to see yet. He has a big smile on his face, but I'm pretty sure that's the same smile he had since I woke up. "Okay, if you don't like it I could return it for something else, but I asked Mitch's wife Sarah if it was nice and she loved it, so I hope you do too." He prefaces, making me smile more.