sixty six

Maude

"They're pulling up now!" Harry rushes to the front door, opening it up to go meet his best friend outside.

He's been so excited for tonight since he gets to see Sarah and she gets to meet me. I'm excited too, even though I'm definitely a little nervous she won't like me. Harry seems to really value Sarah and I'm sure if she told him she didn't think I was a good fit, he'd take a second to reconsider our relationship. That might just be the anxiety talking though.

I came over a little earlier than usual, cutting my study time a bit shorter so I could help him set up for tonight. Thankfully he ordered some food for us so we didn't have to rush the cooking and we can just enjoy each other's company, but I did end up bringing desserts for everyone, since what pregnant woman doesn't like desserts?

While we set up for the dinner and game night, Harry prepped me on Sarah and Mitch, giving me a brief rundown to keep in the back of my mind. He also reminds me not to mention my family, since he's still trying to figure out a way to break that tidbit of information to Mitch. For now he's been trying to skirt the issue of Lance stalking us in order to figure out what we could spin to work in our favor. Mitch has no idea he's helping Harry with our plot against Lance. Harry wants to wait until at least the end of the semester before breaking the news that I'm a Sterling kid, but I'm more than happy to distance myself from my last name for a bit longer.

Slowly making my way to the door, I watch as Harry makes his way around the car to help Sarah out. Mitch gets out of the driver's seat, going over to the backseat to get a reusable grocery bag out. He and Harry say a quick 'hey' before Harry opens up the door for Sarah to get out.

"Harry, I'm just pregnant! You don't need to help me get out of cars yet, I'm barely even showing. You're just making me feel like an old woman!" Sarah scolds him, teasingly shoving him out of the way as she gets out of the car.

Harry grins, following her as she comes around the car to start heading inside. "Sorry I'm just trying to be a gentleman! But come here! Give me a hug, you're having a baby!"

With a teasing roll of her eyes, Sarah turns around, hugging Harry. He's beaming as he holds her close and tight, rubbing her back as he mumbles something to her that I can't hear, but it makes her smile. As they pull away, he kisses her cheek, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he walks with her to the door.

Mitch walks up the stairs, taking my attention off Harry and Sarah's sweet moment. He smiles at me, offering me a friendly hug. "Hey, Maude! Good to see you!" He kisses my cheek politely as I hug him back.

"Hey, nice to see you too!" He pats my back before walking further into the house. Right behind him are Harry and Sarah. Here goes nothing.

"Sarah, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Maude. Maude, this is Sarah. You know her husband, Mitch." Harry jokes, obviously in a really good mood. He squeezes her shoulders in anticipation, waiting for her reaction to me.

I've gotten used to the look of surprise that comes with Harry introducing me to someone in his life. Sarah is better at hiding it though, probably having been briefed by Mitch that I'm a lot younger than they were expecting when Harry said he was with someone new. In a way it makes me feel better that they don't expect me to be so young, that just means he's never had a thing for younger women before me. It's good to know that he's not just using the student body as his own personal Tinder.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Maude! This one won't shut up about being so happy and in love." She pretends to be annoyed by the idea of love, but quickly laughs and pulls me in for a hug. Harry beams as he watches us interact, playing with his bottom lip.