fifty seven

Maude

Sitting across from Charlie in the library, my heart races at the idea of him saying something about the scarf. He asked me to come to the library with him to study for Shea's class, and study usually isn't a word in his vocabulary. He wants to talk about it.

Harry told me that he spoke to Charlie though, and that they left things at a really good place. He shouldn't suspect a thing, but then again I thought I was in the clear with Cassidy when she clearly still didn't trust that I wasn't secretly seeing Harry. Only with Charlie, it's worse, which is crazy to say since he doesn't know about Harry and I's romantic past. If he tells anyone of importance that I was sneaking around Harry's office for information, I'll get thrown out and my family would get thrown off the case, even if it's not true.

If I thought my family didn't like me now, they'd really hate me if that happens.

Hopefully I've been successful in acting oblivious to the scarf thing, or at least like I've moved past it. Now that Cassidy and Harry have hopefully told Charlie the same story about us just having a little meeting in his office, we can all just move on from this altogether. The more distance I could get my friends to perceive that there is between Harry and I, the better for our relationship. If anything, when we finally are ready to tell people about our relationship, I could say that the constant association between the two of us just made me curious or something. I'll cross that bridge when we get there though.

Taking a deep breath, I decide to break the overwhelming silence between Charlie and I that is plaguing the air. "So, did you have a nice Thanksgiving break?" I try not to cringe the second those words leave my mouth. Great job, Maude. Just bring more attention to the elephant in the room.

He looks up from his textbook, almost looking surprised that I spoke to him, as if we weren't here together. "Oh, uh... Yeah, went to visit my parents for a couple days. They live like twenty minutes away so it wasn't too crazy or anything. What, uh, what about you? Did you do anything special?"

Shrugging, I lean back in my chair. "It was fine. Not really eventful." I'm not even sure if he knew I went missing during the break. Do I say I was with my family? Or that I spent it alone like I told Cassidy? This is so fucking confusing, I'm getting a headache.

"I tried to call you on your birthday, but I guess nobody was able to get through because Cassidy said she couldn't reach you either. Did you have a good time?"

"Oh, yeah sorry about that. I just had my phone off the whole day like to be present in the moment or whatever. But yeah, I had a great day, thank you. And Saturday should be a lot of fun since we have my birthday party!" Change the subject.

To make up for my disappearance over the break, I let everyone go overboard with the party planning. Now what was once just gonna be a nice dinner with friends and a stop at a club to end the night has turned into a full blown costume party. Somehow Cass convinced my dad to shell out some cash so they could rent out a lounge for the party, and pretty much anyone who wants to show up is invited. They just have to dress up as some pop culture character or reference.

Charlie's a party animal and can't pass up a good party, so I know bringing it up will help ease the tension. "Please, Ben, Will, and I have the perfect gift planned out for you. I think it's going to be the best gift you've ever received." He winks over at me, making me laugh.

"Well I'm excited to see what you guys have in store. I know it'll be... something." Now we both laugh, knowing whatever it is will be over the top and maybe a little silly. Those guys are some of my best friends though, and I appreciate them more than they'll ever know.

I mean, Charlie goes out of his way even when I'm not there to protect me. They've really turned into my brothers over the last few months at school, which means a lot to me since besides Spencer, I don't have good experiences with the men in my family. It makes me feel like a shitty friend when I lie to all of them though, since they really do go out of their way for me even when I don't deserve it. I'll make it up to them, though. I have to.