fourteen

Maude

The library has become like my second home. Every day I'm here for at least an hour, trying to find a source for a paper, or a quiet place to study. Most of the time someone will join me, usually Cassidy since we have a lot of the same classes, but today Charlie is my study buddy for the next hour or two.

We both have professor Norwood at the same time, so that's been what we're focusing on. I like studying with Charlie, since he's pretty funny and just overall a nice guy. I'm glad Ben introduced us, since I couldn't imagine getting through this law school experience without them.

While Charlie is reading in the textbook, distracted by whatever boring words are written in there, I check my phone, smiling at the new text that's waiting for me.

H: I've got the wine and some dessert for later. Anything else I should grab?

It takes everything in me not to burst into the biggest smile in the world at that text. We finally decided to have a night to ourselves, a little at home date night. I'm in charge of bringing food with me, and I can't lie, I'm really hoping tonight is the night. It's getting frustrating how we haven't had sex yet at this point.

Yesterday I stopped by his office just to see him and say hi, but other than that we haven't gotten to do much together. Just quick kisses in private and stolen glances if we see each other in the halls.

I want to know him in a more intimate way. I want to have that deeper connection with him and I know it will just bring us even closer together. He's so different from my other relationships, so gentle and caring. It feels like the realest relationship I've ever had, and I want to make it work, even if we have to be secretive for now.

Nope I think we're all set. I'll see you in a couple hours!

Putting my phone face down, I smile over at Charlie. "I don't know if I ever thanked you for sticking up for me the other night. But I just want you to know that I really appreciate it."

Charlie smiles back at me, resting his head on his hand as he takes a break from the textbook. "Well I wasn't gonna let someone say that stuff about you, M. He's a dick and he deserved to get punched for saying that. No need to thank me, it was the right thing to do."

With a shrug, I lean back in my chair, "He definitely is. Looking back on that night he was pretty forceful, but it's over now and I'm not planning on seeing him ever again. And I do need to thank you, you got hurt."

"It was nice of Professor Styles to give you a ride home. Probably him trying to make up for being a dick to you in class too. I would have given you a ride, but it was probably better I didn't since I was still a bit mad at Logan."

Forcing myself to not smile at the thought of Harry driving me home, I just nod. "Yeah, probably. But it was really nice of him."

"Hey, how was your family coming into town? Cass mentioned it when you didn't come to study group, said not to really bother you this weekend..."

"Oh it was torture, but now it's out of the way until the holidays at least." I shrug and he pulls a face that makes me smile. "Thankfully nobody tattled to Lance about what happened at the bar. That would have made the weekend miserable." I laugh, glancing down as I take a peek at my phone again.

H: Or right now?

My brows furrow a bit, not sure what to make of that text. Casually, I glance around the library and sure enough there he is, standing in a row of bookshelves, watching me. His eyebrow quirks up as his eyes shift from me to Charlie, and I already know he's pretty jealous right now.