STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART [PIN HAWTHORNE]

Summary: When Y/N's sister Zoe comes to the island for the summer, she's ecstatic. Until Zoe takes a liking to the one person Y/N has had the biggest crush on for years. requested by anon

Characters: Y/N Phillips (female), Pin Hawthorne, Zoe Phillips, Rosie Phillips, Frank Steel (mentioned)

Word count: 1.2k

You loved your little sisters with all your heart, and you had been ecstatic to hear that they're going to stay over at the island for the summer. You hyped them up to everyone at the stables, you hadn't seen them in several years other than by video calls. Rosie had become a diva according to Zoe, and she told you that Rosie could be pretty insufferable at times because of that. Rosie had also made it a big show that they're leaving LA to some remote island with no shopping districts and Zoe had been sick to hear it. But despite that, you counted days for their arrival.

When they arrived, you ran over to hug them, and told them that they absolutely had to meet your friends. Rosie didn't agree, but Zoe came with you to the stables even though your mom was a bit wary about it, and she quickly befriended everyone. All of it would have been fine - unless that she took a liking to Pin. He had borrowed his hoodie to her, and when you recognized it and pointed it out, she blushed. Of course, she had no idea that you had had secret feelings for Pin or even that you were best friends with him, you had intended to tell her later and gush about him later like sisters do as your grandfather wasn't the best partner at gushing about boys. You were thinking about telling her after they had settled in - but now Pin had given his hoodie to Zoe like in some romance movie. A stripe of jealousy brushed past you, but you were able to push it down by telling yourself that he was just being his own caring self, nothing more. Zoe had come to England from LA, no wonder she was often feeling chilly. And Pin knew that she was your sister, of course he wanted to be kind to her too.

Zoe found the sedatives from Pin's pocket while you were with her and was about to go and tell everyone about it, but you told her that Pin wasn't the thief, he was just trying to help a sick horse. You had even taken her to see the horse, and Zoe sighed, saying that she feels stupid. Pin exchanged fond looks with Zoe when she said that, and the jealousy came over again within you.

It didn't take long after that when Zoe came to your room and confessed it with a flushed giggle, she told you that she felt like she was falling for Pin and even asked you for advice, saying she was thinking about asking him to go to the Pony Prom with her and asked if you could help her. You answered by throwing your book on your bed and storming out with tears welling up in your eyes, making Zoe think you were mad at her because of something else and tried to ask around, but you had stopped talking to everyone, including Pin. This, of course, concerned everyone because you usually weren't like that.

Everyone tried to talk to you and ask what's wrong, but you kept up a silent treatment if it was brought up. It broke your heart to treat everyone like that, especially Pin, but you had to protect yourself. When Zoe and Pin would get together, you might as well move back to LA and leave everything behind, and gift your horse to the stables. You wouldn't be able to see that whole thing unfolding, seeing Pin holding hands and kissing Zoe when you had dreamed it to be you for years. At the same time, you felt selfish - your sister had the right to be happy all the same, and she couldn't do anything about her feelings for Pin. It was the best for everyone that you stayed out of their way.

And fortunately, when things at the stables were getting too tiring for whatever reason, you had your own special place to go sit at and listen to music to shut the world out. Rosie had found the same place when they first got there, discovering it was the only good place for Wi-Fi.

Someone sat by you on the haystack and wrapped his arm around you, making you jump as you opened your eyes and saw Pin, before you tried to leave the scene. But Pin grabbed your wrist, making you pause.

"Don't go. Please." he pleaded and you reluctantly sat back down. "What's wrong? You've been weird for days."

"Nothing is wrong." you grumbled, fiddling with your fingers and Pin shook his head.

"No, don't shut me out. We're all worried about you. We're best friends, at least talk to me if you don't want to talk to anyone else."

Best friends. It echoed in your head for a few times before you squeezed your eyes shut. You had been holding your feelings in for weeks, and you knew that Pin would squeeze them out of you eventually. He cared too much to let it be.

"Exactly. Best friends. But Zoe is much more to you than just that." you mumbled, wiping your tears to your hoodie.

"Zoe? What are you talking about?"

"Dammit, Pin. I've liked you for years and have tried to gather my courage to confess it, fantasized about us being together as more than just best friends but then Zoe came and ruined everything." you sniffled, looking at your toes.

He blinked. "What?"

Pin was going to say something more but paused, staring at you and you looked away, wiping your nose with your sleeve again. "You know what, forget it. I don't know why I even bother to embarrass myself. It's selfish of me to deny my sister's happiness anyway."

You stood up, but Pin reached for your hand again and grabbed it, making you stop in your tracks. He stood up too, holding your hand against his chest and smiled softly at you.

"Do you really think I would like Zoe when you have been in my life all this time?" he asked, making you in turn blink at him in confusion and a little bit of shock. Pin grinned at your expression, pulling you into him. "You aren't just my best friend and never have been. I just thought you don't feel the same."

You swallowed, before you carefully wrapped your own arms around him, closing your eyes as you breathed in his scent. This was real. You felt him kiss you on top of your head, before he pulled away from the hug and instead cupped your face with his hand. You felt tingles go all over your body as your heart felt like it's going to explode as he smiled at you.

"I'm sorry for being so rude at you," you muttered. Pin nodded.

"I think we're kind of the same. If I would be jealous of someone, I would have avoided you the same, more or less." he replied quietly, pulling you to his side once more, wrapping an arm around your shoulders before he grinned at you again. "Don't all old people say that their partner is also their best friend?"

You giggled, nuzzling your face into his shoulder. "Yeah, I think they do."