Chapter Twenty Three

Days have passsed since the fire. Everything seemed to move in sort of slow motion. I trudged out through the hours. Kinsley and I have been staying at the boys' house. They've been more than welcoming. Damien has stayed a few nights with Kinsley too.

The fire department still hasn't spoke on a cause of the fire. Elias and Mateo stayed true to their word and helped me with the insurance information. We might've exaggerated a little bit on the prices of certain items, but it's all for a good cause. The cause being my wallet.

I stand in the kitchen drinking some orange juice. I don't really like coffee, so I usually drink something sugary in the mornings to help me wake up.

Hands wrap around my stomach, and stubble runs across my neck. "Good morning, beautiful." Mateo mumbles.

"Morning, handsome."

"You know," he says, taking a cup out of the cabinet. "Waking up to you in the kitchen is such a good feeling."

I can't help but blush a bit, still not used to how sweet they both are. I wonder if the sweetness will last or if it's temporary. The honeymoon phase is what most call it. The first few months of a new relationship when everything is perfect and sweet. Then boredom unveils itself and sends everything into a shit storm.

"Sleeping in that comfortable ass bed of y'all's and feeling your body heat at night is a good feeling, too." I hum, turning to face him.

Elias walks in, rubbing his hand over his face. "Bodies were missing from the bed, it woke me up." He groans as if he's irritated that we got up before him.

My heart swells. I'm not sure if it's just because of Bill's passing and the fire, but their words seem so much sweeter lately. They hit differently.

"I'm sorry, baby," I come up and give him a kiss.

"We're going shopping today," Mateo announces, sipping on hot tea.

"For what?" I ask.

"You and Kinsley." Elias responds, making himself a drink.

"That isn't necessary, we will go later this week."

"Princess," Elias says sternly. "It's not up for discussion. You guys can't live comfortably with little to no clothes. You can buy things to decorate your room, and you still need to pick one out. We love sleeping with you every night, but eventually you'll want some time alone and we want you to have your own room to be able to do that. Toiletries, food. All of it."

"It's been just us for so long, we live in a boring manner." Mateo shrugs. "Plus, we need food so you can cook. I love your food."

"Who said we were staying?" I ponder.

Kinsley comes around the corner. "Me. Face it, Mitch. You're an independent woman. You don't take help easily. So, I did it for you. It's not a permanent solution but it's a good one for now." She rubs her eyes sleepily.

I just look at her, and back at the boys. They look too smug. "Fine, I really do appreciate it but please don't let us overstay our welcome." I mumble.

"Guess your staying forever then," Elias whispers, putting his cup in the sink. "Kinsley we're taking you two shopping. Plan to leave in thirty, sound good?" Eli asks.

They can go shopping with us, but they aren't paying for shit. Letting us stay here is already too much.

I get up and go get ready.

Once everyone is situated, we load up and head to the mall.

It is pretty empty as we walk through the mall. We decided to do clothes first. Kinsley and I picked out enough to fill three baskets full in this store alone. I know Kinsley doesn't have much money right this second, so when the cashier says the total I hand them my card to pay in full.