Chapter Forty Four

The tube has been out for two weeks now. There's been a few finger twitches, some reaction to light but he hasn't opened his eyes. I get my hopes up with every moment that happens.

"What have the doctors said?" Carlos asks, sitting beside Kinsley and Kaleb at the bar top.

"That it could mean everything, but it could be nothing. If it was up to the doctor they would've removed all end of life care months ago." I respond, waddling around the back of the bar.

"Her doctor told her to stop working, but look at her go." Kaleb grumbles, not happy with my choices.

"It's Michelle. Did you expect much less?" Kinsley rolls her eyes playfully. "My goddaughter is coming soon tho, I can feel it."

"Godson," Carlos corrects. They have bets going in the restaurant and in Rose Petals of the gender.

"He's going to be a little menace, just like his daddies." Kaleb grins, lazily throwing an arm over Kinsley.

Carlos has a scar on the back of his head from the baseball bat, but he recovered quickly. The day we first saw each other he broke down in tears, apologizing over and over for 'failing' me. It wasn't his fault. If it would've been a regular fight, even being two one one, Carlos would've laid both of those bitches out flat on the concrete.

My hand retracts to my belly when I get a sharp pain, but I ignore it. The baby kicks hard.

"Where's Elias at?" Carlos asks. "If Kaleb is here, I'd assume Elias would be close by."

"He's in California with Xavion and a few other men. Closing up a deal or something like that," I fake a smile. My stomach continues to cramp.

"Not just a deal, the deal. Him and Mateo have been working on this since the event in Arizona. Enough money to buy this small ass city." Kaleb grins happily. "I get five percent, so I'm very excited for Elias' return."

"Mitch," Noah rounds the corner with two plates in hand. "You've been here since two and haven't ate." The plates clatter on the bar top. "And y'all haven't noticed, shitty." Noah playfully pushes Kinsley.

"Hey, we got here an hour ago. Carlos should've noticed." She sticks her tongue out at both Noah and Carlos.

"Thank you, Noah." I go and pick up a fork, sliding the other plate to the three sitting there. Noah has been making me 'healthier' meals since he found out I was pregnant. I appreciate it but all I want is a fat bowl of pasta.

I go to stab the vegetables with my fork, but it clatters back down onto the plate. I let out a groan, setting my forehead against the bar. I feel hands on my back. "Mitch, what's wrong?" Noah's voice comes through.

"Nothing, I-I'm good." I go to stand up, a cry falling from my lips when I get another pain in my stomach. I feel something drip down my leg.

"Fuck, her water broke. Fuck I'm not good in situations like this. What do we do?" Noah holds onto my arm.

"We get her to the hospital, dim-whit." Kaleb comes round the corner as Kinsley grabs all of our things.

"No, I still have a month left." I groan out.

"I told you my goddaughter wasn't waiting." She smiles smugly. "Who's going to stay with the store? We can't all go." She glances around, then she turns back to us her eyes wide. "Holy shit my best friends in labor."

I cry out again, getting annoyed as the seconds pass. "I'll come back once she's in there safe, close up then meet y'all back at the hospital." Noah says. Slowly we all walk to the car, ignoring the customers stares.