Chapter Forty Three

Seven months into this pregnancy and I am fat and miserable. I've been working two days a week for three months now, despite Elias' complaints. I chose not to know the gender. The baby is growing at a very healthy rate.

Kaleb and Kinsley help us set up the nursery. The walls are yellow for now. The baby definitely has a lot more than they need.

I walk into the living room, passing the pictures in the hall on the way there. There's one of Neil, Mateo, and Kaleb. All smiling, except Mateo. He glares at the camera with his middle finger up. I can't help but smile, running my finger over his face. Another of Mateo and Elias. On the far wall, there's a large photo of the three of us in Arizona. Me legs drape over Elias and my upper body is being held by Mateo. I'm looking at the camera, but they're both looking at me.

Kinsley moved out, her and Kaleb actually moved in together. He bought her a house, her name on the deed. She deserves it, and he deserves her.

"Ready?" Kinsley stands in the living room, keys in hand. I nod my head, following her out to her car.

"Kaleb ordered the baby a little electric car. To drive." She rolls her eyes. "Who buys a baby a car?"

"A man with too much money," I chuckle, rubbing my belly.

The rest of the ride is filled with her chatting, which I don't mind. I haven't talked much in a long time. My mind is always elsewhere. Elias and I have been doing well, but there's a distant pull in both of our hearts. It's kind of hard to focus on us.

Kinsley pulls into the parking lot, and I stare at the large building that's come to be my second home.

"I'll be back in a few hours to get you, I'm going to run some errands." She waves to me as I get out the car.

I walk in through the doors, smiling at the passing individuals. I find my way to Mateo's room. The lights are off, his mom fast asleep in the chair in the corner.

Mateo doesn't look as pale anymore. Still unresponsive. Still no change. I quietly sit on the other side of him, picking up his hand in attempts to let him know I'm here.

"The baby is kicking a lot, they can sense their daddy is around." I smile. The kicks are harsh, painful almost. I stand up, his hand still in mine. Very lightly I set his hand on my growing bump, and the kicks subside. A smile falls onto my lips.

"Hello sweetheart," his mom sits up, rubbing her eyes.

"Hey momma," I respond, enjoying the feeling of Mateo's hand.

"How's my grand baby doing today?" She grins when she looks at my belly.

Nodding my head, I tell her about the kicks.

"She's ready to come out! That all it is." She is convinced it's a girl.

I sit back down, looking at Mateo. The lights flicker on after a soft knock on the door, and my heart thumps in my chest. The bright light flashes over his face, his brows and eyes scrunch at the intrusion.

I jump to my feet, scaring the nurse. "Did you see that?" I damn near scream. "He reacted to the light!" Leaning towards his face, I feel a fear welling in my eye. "Baby?"

The nurse comes to the bedside, lifting the blanket above his feet. She pinches the skin above his foot, and his toes wiggle in response. I watch the nurses reaction trying to analyze her facial expressions.

"What does that mean?" Kristen watches as well.

"I don't want to give anyone false hope, because it could be nothing." She pulls the blanket back over his legs. "However, it could also be signs of improvement." Her soft smile has my emotions rolling. A million thoughts at once. "We'll monitor him more closely and try to get him to react to stimuli." She takes her gloves off, exiting the room.

I stifle a cry, laying my head on the bed as a mentally beg Mateo to wake up.

I lay here for a long while, eventually drifting off to sleep.

It's been three months since Mateo's passing. I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. Elias didn't want a paternity test, he didn't care. However, Jaxon has Mateo's eyes. Bright and green. His nose curves out a bit, just like is daddy's. I play him the only voicemail I have of Mateo's voice when he cries uncontrollably and Elias isn't around, and it soothes him. He stares at the phone and gives a toothless grin.

Elias hasn't been the same since the funeral. The procession was so long, we shut down the interstate. Hundred of individuals came out to show their respect for Mateo's sweet soul. Between his passing and post partum, I haven't been myself. I smile all of the time, but it's rarely real. It's only real when I hear my sons little giggles or when I'm being loved on by Elias.

I rock Jaxon in my arms, listening to his little coos. Elias left for work earlier, Mateo's mom is on her way to babysit so I can go too. His tiny fingers wrap around mine. My heart swells, looking down at the twin of Mateo. I know it's hard for Elias to see the resemblance, to have watched me give birth without Mateo at his side.

I hear the front door open, Kristen yelling out to let me know of her presence.

"In here!" I yell back, standing to my feet.

She walks to the door, sighing once she sees we're in Mateo's room. The smile she send is soft and welcoming. "How is my baby boy doing?" She purses her lips, taking him from my arms.

"He ate two hours ago and he's up to six ounces now. Mommy's big boy." Giving him a soft kiss, I walk out of the room.

"Have a good day!" Kristen yells back. She's been the biggest help since day one. I'll forever be grateful for her.

Work is busy, and I'm more than happy for it. It's raining outside so it does shock me with the amount of customers we have. It keeps my mind occupied. I forced myself to go back to work a month ago. I love being at home and spending quality time with my baby, but it drives me insane to be left at home with nothing but my thoughts. Richard was excited for me returning back to work. Carlos came back when I did, despite me trying to convince him to take the money and simply stay at home.

We chat for a bit, Carlos, Richard and I. It's almost peaceful.

The door to the front opens, the loud sound of rain ringing through the restaurant momentarily. A tall slender man walks through the doors, slacks on and a white button up. Elias smiles, coming up to the bar. My heart warms, remembering the moment we first met. I can't help but look to the right of where he sits, picturing Mateo sitting beside him.

I'm woken up abruptly, jumping in my seat. Mateo is gagging around the tube down his throat, his head shaking left and right to try and get it out. "Nurse! Oh my word, doctor! Somebody!" Kristen yells.

"Mateo, baby. I'm here. Calm down." I choke on a sob, trying to hold his head still.

"What's happening?" A nurse walks in, her eyes widening when she sees the vigorous movements. She quickly snaps on some gloves, walking over to us. Pulling out the tube, Mateo coughs deeply. However his eyes don't open.

"Baby?" I whisper, pulling his hand close to my face. I kiss it softly but there's no response. "He's obviously awake, why won't he talk to me!" My sobs are uncontrollable.

"I know this is difficult. His body is showing signs of improvement, but his mind isn't awake." She sighs. "Sometimes people never fully come out of a coma. Their body reacts but their brain isn't there anymore. All of this will be a long recovery, if there is one. If he does wake up, that will be a long process too. It's not like the movies; you don't just wake up and everything be okay. Different parts of the body become aware at different times." I watch as she cleans his mouth and brushes with a small wet sponge.

"So there's a chance, a chance my baby will wake up?" Kristen asks, her hand on my shoulder.

The nurse sends her a sad smile. "A small one. But yes, a chance."