Chapter Twenty-Eight

Scorching Devil

Sakay ng helicopter ay tinanaw ko ang mala-berdeng tanawin. It's still dawn and the fogs are hovering around the huge mountains. We are wearing our battle dress but this one is for the desert. Walang pinadalang ultra breather dahil hindi naman polluted ang lugar. The land stretched across to a denuded place then to the scorching devil. Pagkalapag nila sa tuktok ng bundok ay sumunod rin ang copter namin. Below are the dunes of sand.

Nilipad ng hangin ang ilang mga strand ng buhok ko.

"Three-day mission. Don't forget that. Your leader will contact us if there's an emergency going on. Remember, your safety is our top priority. Be careful." Mr. Dorath instructed.

We waited the helicopters to soar and vanish. Nagkatinginan ang lahat.

"Break at twelve." saad ni Anastacia habang hawak ang tiger assault rifle. Her long hair was tied into a fish tail. Some strands fell off of her face.

"Let's head to the canyons. They are residing in those areas." suhestiyon ni Séverin. He's the brain of the team. He has sandy blonde hair, sky blue eyes and manly build figure.

Tumungo kami sa canyons. The golden sand welcomed us as we walk towards the scorching devil. Kahit maaga pa ay medyo tirik na ang maliwanag na araw. I bet the sands are steaming already. Luckily, we wore our combat boots.

"Be alert." ani Anastacia.

I grip my Famas and eyed the whole place. There's a mountain just a few kilometers ahead of us. In that area we can locate the canyons. I wrapped the maroon scarf on my head as a protection against the sun. We are also wearing a visor but without a helmet on it.

Pagkarating namin sa bundok ay bumaba kami sa canyons. Several small caves and holes are prominent high above.

"I'll search for higher grounds." suhestiyon ni Serri.

We nodded in agreement. Our team readied the weapons they have. The mild wind blew the sands gently creating a mist of loose granules. The visor says the area is clear. No enemies are yet to be found.

"Dray, are you sure about this location?" tanong ni Yumiree.

Séverin flicked his head towards her. Wala siyang naging sagot pero tinignan siya nito saglit. Cris nudge me with his elbow and quickly, I turn to him. Ngumiti siya't umiling.

"Serri, did you find a stable higher grounds?" tanong ni Anastacia sa linya.

"Affirmative. Request to move to the left direction of the canyon. I saw something moving." tugon niya sa linya.

"Roger."

The canyon is high above our heads. May mga rocks at boulders pero kadalasang makikita mo sa kanyon ay mga small caves o mga opening. It is clearly been inhabited by these cold blooded creatures. It's either they abandoned the place or been out the desert to hunt.

Naglakad kami sa kaliwang parte ng desyerto. Ganun parin ang itsura pero medyo malaki na ang mga kuweba at openings. We can't enter the holes even if we wanted to. Mas lugi kami sa liksi at bilis nilang mga galaw. Serri is prolly has our sight so we can manage to prepare if the red eye sees us.

"I got vision. Two red eye approaching your way." balita ni Serri sa linya.

Cris was holding his combat gun while Séverin is arming a M16. Dagen has a XM1014 on with him but I notice a sword clutching on his back. Lastly, Yumiree has a Sig 552 and a small medical kit behind her back.

"Get ready." malamig na bulong ni Anastacia.

A grating throat sound enveloped the place. I roam my eyes above for possible red eye to show up. They are good at crawling above the steep mountain and can sneak attack so we must be wary. Mahirap kapag nasugatan ka ng mga 'to.