Chapter Fifty

Face on

Napatingin ako sa malawak na karagatan. The harsh breeze fanned my hair, and the smell of the ocean seeped right through my nose. Ang papalubog na araw ay siyang nagbigay ng pag-asa sa akin na matapos na ito lahat. It's always been the sunset. The sunset never ceases to amaze me, and by that, it has nurtured my small hope that whatever happens, it is destiny.

Sakay ng malaking bangka na naglalayag papuntang Terranus, kasama ko ang mga kaibigan ni Barry. They're good at this. I mean, they handle every situation well. Hindi man sa nangongompara, pero mas malalim pa ang nangyari sa kanila dahil lang sa isang tao. A man over a position. Kahit mababaw lang ito kompara sa iba, mayroon talagang taong gagawin ang lahat para sa posisyon.

Marami nang napinsala matapos ang delubyo, at ngayon, muli tayong sasabak upang mabuhay. I don't know if this life is worth fighting for. Living with the fear that you might die at any moment, living with scarcity, living with war.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras kaming naglakbay papuntang Terranus. Now, as I'm facing my beloved, wrecked town, my heart seems to pound harder.

"Aleera, you can guide us here," Barry called to me. I hadn't realized that we were already on the ground.

I sighed and moved along.

As the dark clouds gather in the sky, a gentle hush falls upon the world below. The air is pregnant with anticipation, and a cool breeze whispers through the trees. Suddenly, the first droplets of rain begin to fall, like nature's tears gently caressing the earth.

The rhythmic pitter-patter of raindrops creates a soothing symphony, as if the heavens themselves are playing a melancholic melody. The rain paints the world in shades of gray, casting a veil of serenity over the silent town of Terranus.

Each raindrop dances upon the ground, creating tiny ripples that mirror the emotions within. The scent of petrichor fills the air, a delightful fragrance that awakens the senses and stirs memories of past storms. Like the ones back at the scorching desert.

"Aleera, we need a plan on how to get in. We can't just show up there while a meeting is taking place," Barry said.

I adjusted my black raincoat and looked at him.

"I've already figured it out," I replied.

"We are literally headed towards a cliff. The only way in is through those tubes underground," Lin interrupted.

I remembered my first day at the academy. The only way in was through the tubes below. They required a passcode, but no one knew it because only the guards had it.

"I'll call someone inside the academy..."

THIRD PERSON

At this hour, the authorities are gathering at Alzacar Academy. They are all unable to look away, discussing whether they should keep the institution or shut it down. They want this to be over. Little do they know that there is also an accomplice who wants all of this to end.

Ophelia Peregrine and all the administrators are seated at the long table. All the authorities are present, even Mr. Kennedy—the man behind this urgent meeting. They are all serious about this matter. Ophelia has a hunch that something will happen, but she sets aside her suspicions for now.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Today, we will decide whether Mistress Ophelia Peregrine's institution will stay or be forced to shut down," the President's voice echoes. "The meeting will now commence."