a flash into the past

Amity's pov:
We had made it to the diner Luz was just now trying to decide what she wanted to eat that looked good but had little dairy in it. The server came over she looked about our age, "Hi welcome to Snapple vee's I'm Vicky I'll be your waitress tonight can I start you off with anything to drink?"

Her eyes where glued to Luz basically ignoring my presence, "Um, yes I'll have the upside down shake with dairy free milk" the waitress was writing this down about to walk off when Luz caught her by her apron "I believe you've forgotten to ask her what she wanted ma'am"

I blushed at the fact that she even stopped her from walking off "Oh, my apologies what can I get you?" I looked over the menu spotting something that caught my eye "I'll have the caramel one" she looked over my shoulder "The caramel deluxe shake?"

I nodded "That's a good choice" she wrote it down then left "Your drinks will be over in a jiffy" Luz looked over at me her head tilted to the side "Caramel?" I nodded "Yes it's very sweet" she nodded "Noted" this made me smile, by this time our shakes had arrived "Here is the upside down shake no milk"

She winked at Luz "Annd the caramel deluxe extra whipped cream and a cherry on the side, can I get you any appetizers?"

I immediately knew that I wanted some chicken nuggets, so I pointed at those "I'll have the chicken nuggets what about you Luz?" I looked up to see Luz just staring at me "Luz, what would you like to eat?" She just shook her head "I'm not hungry" she said taking a drink of her shake "But, you need to eat"

She said eyeing the waitress "Chicken nuggets please" she smiled "Right away" I felt a little jealous that this girl this Vicky was eyeing Luz but she didn't seem to notice not one bit.

Luz pov:
Amity has gotten her food just a few minutes after Vicky stepped away "THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE DINOSAURS!" I just looked up "Is that okay?" She smiled "Yeah it um just brings back memories is all"

I was smiling now reaching my hand to take one "What's this one called?" I asked taking a nibble Amity went on explaining that it was called a triceratops and was her favorite I nodded my head putting the information in the back of my mind for the future.

The waitress who's name I had forgotten walked back over holding a paper "Here's the check" I took it seeing that the total was very affordable since I had traded my snails for actual money.

I noticed at the very bottom of the paper was a number with a heart saying "call me if your ever bored" reading it I looked up at her "Why would I call you when I have someone already?"

I guess my reply shocked her since she was no longer smiling it looked more like an anger mixed with sadness type of look.

Getting the money out of my wallet I turned to her giving her a 20 before turning to Amity and signaling to leave "Do you want to go to the park?"

I asked grabbing out things she nodded I smiled again as I took her hand in mine walking out of the diner realizing that her hands fit perfectly in mine.

Amity's pov:
I had to hold my tongue remembering Luz is completely oblivious when it comes to things like this I also had to tell myself that even though she could have chosen anyone else in this world she chose me and seemed so drawn to me "What are you thinking?"

She looked down at me curiously I smiled "thinking of how you only see me" she smiled back then blushed "Bueno, eres la chica más hermosa de este planeta."

I crunched up my eyebrows "what?" She just laughed "Sorry I speak Spanish when I'm nervous, what I said was uhh" she breathed in before speaking "Well, you are the most beautiful girl on this planet."

I kind of froze in place chuckling "oh lord help me I'm in love" I said all in one sentence "I guess you can say I am too" I looked up at Luz as she kissed my cheek making my face turn completely red.

Time skip to the park

Luz pov:
I watched as children played remembering how my childhood was nothing like that, the smiles upon their faces made me want to vomit, "Hey are you okay?" I looked over at Amity her eyebrows where scrunched up

I smiled "Yes, I am okay I was just thinking of my childhood" her eyes grew "Ooo tell me stories please please please!!" I let out a chuckle it dying down when I realized she was serious. "Um I'm not so sure you want to hear some boring old stories" I said rolling my eyes "Of course I do"

I rubbed the back of my neck sitting down on a bench "I didn't exactly have a happy childhood" I looked over at Amity who I knew was listening

"At five my parents took me out of all children activities, that involves playing and or laughing and if I complained I would be punished dramatically I shivered at the thought of it

Flashback: Luz is playing in the sand with a child her age

Tod: Hey you want to play with my mole truck?

Luz looks over smiling: yes! Here you can play with my demon blaster

Before the child could exchange the toys, a hand is around her small arm

"Come on Luz it's time for training" Luz looks up to see it's her father

"But dad, I was just playing"
Griping her arm tighter "Those are child's games we don't associate with childish games, now hold your tongue"

She held her head low: "yes sir.."
End of flashback

I continued on "Mother never noticed if I was home or not neither did my father really, I was compared to my pears daily" I said chuckling some "mother told me any time she saw me 'if you can't be the best, you're a failure.' by age nine I was at the top of my class became a perfectionist, didn't want to try new things, and constantly compared myself to others, convinced I wasn't good enough.

I wasn’t the kind of person who looked like someone plagued by depression. For my entire life, I was a good student known for my athleticism on the field.

I was a three-season athlete but what people didn't see is that, I was struggling on the inside and trying to maintain the outward appearance that was painted by my parents.

Family was everything or so people said, I was always envious of the people whose parents showed up to their special events.

I knew I was going too far since I felt the tightness in my chest start to build it's way up.

"I was trying to function as a normal teenager but it was hard to pretend that everything was okay. We were just not functioning as a family. We never were a family."

I felt the tears coming into my eyes threatening to fall when amity hugged me "It's okay you don't need to continue" her voice was shaken a little, I knew what I said must have been hard for her to hear "I'm so sorry Luz"

Those words hit the final piece that kept the tears at bay. I started to cry as she hugged me tighter it only took a few minutes before I could look at her again, I smirked "some date, huh?" I said sarcasm filling my voice she just slapped my arm not to hard enough to hurt me as I whipped the remaining tears from my eyes.

She caught my jaw running it down to my chin before she looked down at my lips I smiled as I went closer locking mine with hers "You really don't need to ask" I said her eyes where in a dreamlike state "Your way to cool for me" she said which made me chuckle "I'm not as cool as you think"

I replied blushing some before looking back at her as she rested her head on my shoulder "we are both cool in our own way" I let out a sigh "yeah, I guess we are".