onyx guard

A year has passed since I heard from Amity. Or at least I think it's been one. It was really starting to affect me. I sent her a message every day on my scroll from the time I woke up to the time I lay down at night, which was rare for me since Belos liked to keep me on my toes.

Today I was supposed to go on my first real mission since being brought back to the boiling isles.

I was approached by multiple guards. "onyx guard" I nodded my head at one of the guards. I don't think I have the ability to speak anymore. I haven't spoken a word since that day. After I was assigned as one of the emperor's personal everyday body guards, no words were spoken. As I made my way to the emperor's chambers, I thought of her. Her beautiful smile, hypnotic eyes, and perfect body. I blushed at the last thing I thought of, burying all thoughts as I walked through the doors.

Getting down on my knee, "Good to see you." I nodded as he told me to rise. "You don't speak to me anymore, Luz." My eyebrows scrunched up. Did he want me to? He waved his hand aside, "That's fine. I want to tell you about your mission." I stood straight, "There's a rumor going around about criminals selling children for profit up near the knee. I want you to take some troops and investigate and see if you can find the missing children." My hands scrunched up, feeling bad for the small witchlings. I nodded my head, saluting him as I turned on my heels.

Time skip

I had gotten every guard on the force to join me on this mission, knowing it would be different from my usual routine of getting up and training.

One of the guards spoke, "Onyx guard, what kind of mission involved us saving humans exactly?" My heart began to shut off. "Excuse me, what?" He shrugged his shoulders, "The human kids, you know, the ones the emperor wants us to rescue." Anger grew in my tone as I spoke, "Guard number 22, are you really questioning the emperor's authority?" He began to put his hands up, "No, I just don't see why we have to risk our lives in this cold to find a few kids that aren't ours."

I sighed, taking my mask off, which I rarely do, and walking towards him, "Do you have kids?" "Yes, yes I do," he backed up, and I smirked, "and how would you feel if someone just came into your home, took them, and planned to sell them to titan knows what?"

His eyebrows scrunched up. "Exactly now, keep your mouth shut, and let's not delay; they can't save themselves," I smiled.

Another time has passed, yay!

We had made it to the mountains where we saw a campsite and a fire with a bunch of men keeping themselves warm. "Stay put," I said, taking my armor off even if it was cold. "I will give you the signal to charge." I said as I walked toward the site, knowing if I looked like a child I could get them to follow me, making a spell circle. I shrunk myself going towards the cabin more as I opened it and what I saw was horrible.

Rows and rows of cages Small children of all races were locked up with shackles on their legs. I walked in, being as stealthy as I could, "hello?" One of the kids said, making me pop my head in to see them, they looked like a young witch.

They were small and wore purple pajamas. "Hi," I said, smiling. "How did you get out?" "No one's ever gotten out!" they exclaimed. I shushed them. "Imma get you all out of here too, just be patient."

I said, going outside, I blew a raspberry, "Hey idiots, come and get me." Looking at the guards, I gave them the okay to infiltrate the camp. They started to move as I ran towards some other ones so they could arrest the men.

"Jeez you guys are slow," I said as I walked over to the cabin. I saw a child with greenish hair and brown eyes, similar to Amity's older sister and Lucia. He had his hair pulled in a pony tail and wore really worn out sneakers. "Hey kiddo, how about we get you out of here shall we?"

He nodded vigorously, his hands on the bars. I made a spell circle, breaking the cage as I did with the others, making the guards sigh with relief knowing they didn't have to pick locks anymore.

As I helped him down, a picture fell out of his pocket. I saw a flash of green, "Hey little man, can I see that?" I nodded, taking it. I felt tears pick at my eyes.

Running my finger across her face, it was Amelia and Lucia holding the boy I was looking at now with Amity and her twin siblings in the background giving bunny ears, "Excuse me, but how do I get home?"

"Is there any more of you hiding somewhere?" I asked, smiling at the kids.They shook their heads no. I gave the little boy the picture back. He smiled and, to my surprise, took my hand. "I'm Axel. What's your name?" I smiled at him, "I'm Luz." For some reason, his eyes seemed to sparkle, "YOUR AUNT AMITYS WIFE!" He yelled out in surprise.

My face went full red. "That's preposterous, our onyx guard isn't married." I glared at the guard, making him shut up, getting down to axel level. "Your aunty and I aren't married, buddy. She was my girlfriend before I was brought back here." He frowned. "Well then why does she have a ring on her finger?" She said it was yours! " I smiled. She's still got it.

Flash back

"Amityyyy!" I yelled while climbing to her window. She opened it smiling. "Good morning to you, Luz," she smiled, but today wasn't just any ordinary Saturday morning; it was our 6th month anniversary. "Do you know what day it is?" she asked."hmm it's Saturday the 23rd, oh what day could possibly make today so important, I can't seem to think," she said, putting her hand beneath her chin.

My smile fell to a frown. Did she forget? My arms fell to my side as I pouted, "You forgot?" I asked, which made her look at me as she started to smile, her hands making their way to my cheeks, "How could I forget our anniversary?"

My smile reappeared on my face as I grabbed the ring. "I know this isn't much, but it's a thing Willow told me about. It's a uh, what's that word again?" She smiled at me, "Promise ring."

I smiled pointing at her "Yeah that" she shook her head "You do know I have a door right you don't need to keep up with this Romeo act even if it is the cutest" I smiled "nah I like this" I said as I put my forehead on hers "Happy anniversary Ames" she smiled "Happy anniversary Luz"

The flashback has concluded.

I smiled more, remembering that memory vividly, but I couldn't go back just yet since the portal waited.. the portal THE KIDS! How are they going to get back home? I thought to myself.

I looked down at the boy who had one of those devices. Amity told me, "What are you doing?" He looked up at me, "Texting mama." I looked over to see one of them sent "Axel."

I looked at him seriously, "You can't tell your mama I saved you okay just let me be known as the onyx guard," he nodded, and I decided it was time to get them out of here. "Team, keep these children warm or it will cost you your life," I said as I made abomination shoes and mittens for them."Mom texted me Luz!"

I looked at the message. If his messages are going through, then what does that mean for me?

I pulled out my scroll but they weren't sending. Did she unadd my number? I heard his phone ping as he looked at me, "She wants to know who I'm with." I looked over at the message.

Mommy: Axel, who are you with? Where are you, honey? We've been looking for you everywhere.

I smiled as I signaled for his phone.

I decided to send a message.

Amelia's pov:

"Lucia, he's texting" I looked at my wife as we went to the phone. Amity came over too to hear about where her nephew had been.

But this time it wasn't Axel.

Baby boy: Hello ma'am, I am the onyx guard. I found your son and am now taking him to my leader to find him a way home to you.

We all looked at one another. "Who the hell has a leader these days?" Amity asked, but that's not what I was concerned about.

I messaged back.

Me: Where exactly did you find him?

Baby boy: Me and my team found him in a cabin with a bunch of other children. We had to act fast, but he is safe. I can assure you that.

My hand went over my mouth, so he was kidnapped. My hands went back to typing.

Me: So are you some sort of police officer? Where are you? Where is my son?

Baby boy: I am not part of any police force, and you need to sit down for this.

I typed, saying I was sitting when the next message took us all by surprise.

Baby boy: Your son is in a place called the "Boiling Isles." We are trying to find a way for him to come home.

I looked over at Amity her face was filled with shock as her eyes started to water "Ask about Luz please sis"

I sighed when a photo came through. It was of Axel with the person we were talking to a while back. They wore mostly black. "It's an emo kid."

Me: Axel, have you heard anything about Aunt Amity's partner?

He was typing.

Baby boy: Yeah, she's with me right now!

I felt more relaxed knowing he was with Luz, but what's with the all black? He sent a video "Hey Luz!" "Can you say hello to the camera and take off the mask please?" Amity perked up, looking at the video. "You're just like her, you know?" She sighed, taking it off, letting her bangs fall in front of her face. She said, smiling at him, "Yeah, but say hi to the camera!" She smirked, "Hello camera." He giggled, "Make sure you don't send that to anyone." He zoomed in on her face, and that's when we saw them.

Scars.