Chapter thirteen 😊

~Speak the truth even if your voice shakes🤩inspired by A_KrossRnoomaQueen

Irene's POV

   I felt like my head was about to explode. It ached from my forehead to my skull to my brain to my inner brain then to my whole body.  I felt so numb but seeing the faces of Orla, Hattie, Leo, and Darius made me feel better, who I'm kidding I have never been so sore in my entire life. My subconscious yelled at me for taking the poison to save Hadrian's life and scolded me for listening to Natasha. But there was poison in there,I thought to myself" and you drank it"my subconscious reminds me, and I just laugh.

"Where's Hadrian?" I asked again, softly.

They all looked at me weirdly in the first place before Eleanor replied.

"He'll be released immediately the king knows you're fine," she tells.

Released? 

"Was he arrested?" I ask trying to get up but Darius held me back down.

"You need a lot of rest. Hadrian got into an argument with his father, but he'll be released soon " Darius convinced me.
I rest calmly, and immediately my thoughts went to my father.

"What of my father?" I ask hastily.

"I told him you'll be staying in the palace for a few days," Leo tells me and I let out a sigh.

"Was he worried?"

"No just stunned" he smiles.

I was assured, it seemed like the news of me drinking poison did not go viral. Now that he was safe but my heartbeat was not usual, it beat faster, why? I had no idea but my thoughts kept on going to Hadrian constantly.

*** minutes later****

Darius wouldn't let me so much as get up to take a cup of water, he served me food and even fed me, I cannot lie I loved the way he pampered me like I was his daughter.
Leo sat by me after I ate explaining all about what Hadrian did, I smiled through all, I couldn't believe he would risk his life and journey to the forbidden mountains, all just to get an antidote. I tried to fight myself to hide the way it felt inside but I just couldn't.

The door opens slowly with Hadrian walking in. My body rippled in sight of him. Leo stood to meet him. They talked in whispers but all I could hear were murmurs then Leo left the room with Darius trailing behind him and the door goes shut.

"Hey" Hadrian starts. My chest flutters from hearing his deep yet soothing voice again. He still looked perfect, his gold black hair was shiny more than ever, his beautifully sculpted body, and the one aspect I couldn't get was his sea rover blue eyes.

"Hey" I replied in the vaguest voice ever. Hadrian smiles as he sits on the stool Leo just got up from.

"How are you feeling?" He raises a question.

I heaved a sigh and summed up the whole feeling I felt since I woke up" like death".

Hadrian laughs and I follow too. He took my hands in his warm yet fiery own.

"Thank you, for saving my life" he smiles.

"I should be thanking you, I would be dead now if it weren't for you" I sniff.

"Yes, but still, thank you" he gleams.

We stay in silence for a while before he raises another question.

"How did you know there was poison in my drink?". I was dumbstruck by his question that I almost said Natasha's name. I thought of it carefully, she is his betrothed, and it might sound selfish of me to mention her name. I mean I am nothing but a sheer servant and she was an illustrious princess.

"I just knew, I felt like things weren't right so I decided to do the only stupid thing that I could think of.  Besides, remind me next time never to drink poison" I try to draw away his thoughts from his aforementioned question.

He laughs and my heart leaps for joy that it helped, I join him in laughing.

"I will" he assured our eyes locked immediately, oh no not again. Staring at Hadrian's eyes made me feel so many things. He was so angelic and I  had never felt like this for anyone.

"I heard you were arrested, what happened?" I ask the question, our eyes still fixed on each other.

He cleared his throat" it was nothing actually" he assured rubbing my palm.

"Okay," I simply say.

"I have to go now, I have a lot of work to do," he says.

I nod as he lets go of my hands and walked toward the door. I wasn't satisfied with the way we parted but I can't call him back for anything now.

He held the doorknob as I waited for him to turn it but rather his head turned to look at me and he gave me a beautiful smile.

My heart relaxed with the warmth surrounding it.

*****************

It was time for me to go home, I kissed Darius goodbye, helped Hattie with a few things, and then took my cloak and walked down the halls. It was already dark and the torches were put on. I hummed a particular song in my head, my mother will sing it to me before bed and I would sing it to my brother Liam, the song reminded me of her so much.

My hands were grabbed by another and immediately it took me to the back of a wall.
I scoff at seeing Natasha.

"So you survived, you should have died," she says, what does she want from me. "You think that you can get closer than I am to Hadrian, I will make your life a living hell, it's good you didn't tell anyone about the poisoning it was originally meant for you though, the moment you would so much as think of opening your mouth to tell anyone, I will decapitate you, think of it, you accusing the future queen of this kingdom " she threatens.

I jerk my hands out of her grasp. Brave Irene, speak up! I tell myself.

"First, you might be a princess but do not dictate what I do, the only reason I did not tell on you was because of Hadrian himself, he has done so much and I wouldn't want to burden him with someone like you. I believed you to be better than this. Do you want to make my life a living hell? go on, have fun" I snapped, and immediately she frowned, I could feel the sting in her heart just by the expression her face wielded.

I tried to walk away but she yanked me back" this …is…not…over" she spelled out and walked away angrily.

I leave the palace and take the stroll to my home, I thought about all I said, I could not believe that I stood up to Natasha.

I hold the doorknob and try to pull it but seemed it was locked. A few knocks on it did the trick.

I step back a little to think of the expression on my father's face.

"Whos there?" His voice sounded faint.

I hesitate a bit" it's me father" I respond.

The door opened immediately and I'm pulled in a tight hug by my father. I struggle for air.

"Hey, father" I hug him back.

"Irene where have you been?" He asks closing the door behind us.

"I am sorry I couldn't tell you in person but I had a lot to do in the palace" I lie.

"It's okay but next time be sure to tell me" I was surprised by his choice of words but I ignored it.

We ate dinner together and laughed. My thoughts were not in with my father but for some reason other than usual, my thoughts kept going back to Hadrian like I should have stayed with him. Funny, very funny. I thought to myself.

Thank you all so much. Please do say if you like the story.

Now vote and comment. Mwah❤❤

Watch out for more😉.

God loves you!

Mwah!

~Smile😊