Chapter 38

38⭐

Irene's POV

My eyes were swollen and my heart beat faster than usual, my head throbbed and my knees shook as I succeed out of the river and unto the dry land, I coughed and coughed but it only made my headache worse. I breathed heavily as I laid down looking up at the cliff from the height I jumped. The Lion roared looking down at me, I hoped it won't jump. No, it can't.

"Come on, is that all you can do? Chase me and then give up!" I scream at the top of my voice. It roared louder this time which swept me off my feet. I heaved a sigh thanking the gods I was safe but where am I now? This is pointless, I thought to myself. No one and nothing is out here. I don't even have a way out, say I want to leave. My stomach growled at me and I regretted not eating enough the night before. Rubbing my eyes, I stood up and paced to and fro, praying to the gods to help me out. What if Hadrian is dead? I shook the thought out of my head and plumped down, my legs in a crisscrossed way, I buried my face in my palms and began to cry, not knowing why.

Seconds became minutes and minutes became hours, I laid down on my back flat as I counted sheep hoping something would happen. Just then, it was as if the gods heard my cry and a bird flew past my head. I tried to grab it and motioned my hand for its attention. It didn't look my way as it kept on flying. I got up almost immediately, dusting myself as I ran after it. A bird flying so fast must have a home. I ran and ran, surprised that I still have some energy left. I came to a halt as it flew into the other waterfall. Amazed, I took two steps back almost missing a step.

I opened my mouth "What the?" I hesitated then slowly plunging my right arm into the waterfall, I felt a tickle in my hand, slowly drawing my hands out. A butterfly lay on my palm, and a smile crept up my face "Wow" I whispered not to scare it, and it flew away and back into the waterfall. I simply sigh it's now or never I tell myself. I move closer reluctantly, my hands going in first, then slowly the rest of my body. I shut my eyes. The feeling of a warm breeze romped around me. My eyes opened slowly and it was a spectacle to behold. My mouth sprang open, there was a little garden to my left where butterflies jumped around. I looked up and the cloud was ever beautiful, birds singing on the trees that surrounded the whole place. I narrow my eyes to the hut that was far ahead of the waterfall, it was small but beautiful, and the river just behind it complimented the whole scenario. I couldn't control the smile and laughter that stemmed on my face.

My sightseeing and enjoyment of the whole feeling were cut off when I heard a thud from the hut.

"Hadrian" I whisper. I left my five minutes spot as I ran toward the hut. The door flung open coming in contact with my hands and the push from my shoulders. I hissed as I stepped on a  piece of the shattered object. The pieces were everywhere, the broken object happened to be a jug. I guess that was what made the sound. A curtain was a few steps before me, I scurried to it and tugged it open. Hadrian was on the floor, I quickly rush to him.

"Hadrian? Hadrian?" No response, I pulled him to look at his face and he was experiencing a seizure. I pulled him to lay on his side but he moaned and jerked from my grip.

"Get on your side now, or you'll die!" I yelled at him and flipped him to his side. My knees trembled. I shift to sit down as I lifted Hadrian's head and put him on my lap. I rubbed his back, not knowing what to do. After a while, the seizing stopped. I smiled praising the gods, I felt his temperature and he was feverish. I sighed and tore a piece of cloth from my shirt and slowly wiped the white foam coming from his mouth. What could have made him jerk? I asked myself. I scanned the small room with my eyes and there was a small bed at the end of the room which I can perfectly fit in, I'm small anyways. A small wardrobe by the bed and a basket filled with clothes poured out onto the floor, I narrow my eyes at the bottle lying on the floor not far away from the basket which was just opposite me. I reached for it and took it into my hands. I open the bottle and the disturbing smell of booze crept up my nostrils causing me to cough. "Urgh" I tried to fight the smell.

I bent to perceive Hadrian and he smells a lot worse. I blinked continuously because I think the smell traveled to my eyes too. I look around again to find several bottles of the same one I threw. He was drowned in his drunkenness. An urge to start laughing hovered around me but I restricted seeing that Hadrian might wake up. His hands held a firm grip on my legs like a little child. Cupping his head, I slowly shifted from his grip, I got up and clasped his arm with my two hands and they still couldn't cover up his whole arm. I used every power in my bones to put his arm over my shoulder and drag him up to his feet, so I can take him to the bed. I groaned at his weight as I lifted him to his feet. Opening the curtain, my eyes caught the bed just to my right. Just as I was a few steps away from the bed, his head fell on mine.

"Okay ow!" I whined, almost letting go. I shuddered as I wrapped my hands around his broad waist and pushed him down to the bed, now this bed was big and could contain more than just my petite body.

I stood over Hadrian as he slept, my eyes checked his and they were swollen like he hasn't slept in days. He still looked beautiful, his hair was radiant as ever and his lips called out to me but I ignored the thought. The gods won't approve. I convinced myself as I strode to the other end of the room. The hut was bigger than it looked. There was a dining with four chairs just close to the door and the kitchen was nearly opposite it. A small parlor under the first window close to where I stood complimented the hut and the other window was just above the bed where Hadrian lay.

I breathed as I grabbed the broom by my side to tidy up the shattered pieces on the floor. I boiled water to calm his temperature and put some blankets over him. Then making my way into the inner room to find anything to wear, I reeked. I grabbed a pair of ripped trousers and a small shirt that looked like it was my fit. I walked further to the open window by the other end of the room. Turns out it wasn't a window but a door. My eyes marveled at the arena, it was beautiful, and trees as tall as a mountain were before me just after the river. The water moved in motion with the whistling breeze. I smiled and without hesitation, I took off my clothes and entered the water to have my bath.

Later on, after having one of the best baths of my life, I walked through the door to the inner room and shut it lock. I put on the clothes I brought out and looked at myself in the small mirror by the door. I heaved a sigh as I drew a chair and sat down. My hair was dripping wet and my face was bloated. I got up and moved around the room, seeing if I can find any comb. I opened the wardrobes and saw other clothes hanging, I shift through them and my hand caught an old comb covered in dust. I clean it with my dirty clothes and made my way to the mirror again. The girl in the mirror stared at me as I said "You just ran a mile journey, jumped into water with a lion chasing you, and came down here to save a drowning prince".

I laugh at my words. Combing my wet hair, I gathered it up and wrapped it in a high bun. I made my way to the other room to check on Hadrian, he still lay there sleeping. I smiled and moved to the little petite bed in the inner room. I took a deep breath and cupped myself in the bed for the best fit. The clouds were dark now and I could hear the crickets. I said a prayer of thanks and drifted off to sleep.

Hi!!

I hope you enjoyed it.

Vote⭐.

Comment💬.   

Share💫.

Bye for now!
God loves you and I do too.

~Craving plantain chips.