Chapter 26

Third person's POV

  "We have to leave if we want to get there before nightfall"Hadrian announces to the rest of the guys.

"Wait what about the horses?" Eleanor inquired.

"We have to go on foot now, we'll leave the horses beside here, they'll be safe" Liam says.

"Liam is right, we carry our rations , Irene doesn't have much time" Hadrian says and leads the way.

"Why does he care so much?" Liam asks Leo.

"It's weird but Irene is his Rõsë" Leo briefs.

"You don't mean it!" He whispers.

"I do ,I just pray things aren't worse between them when we save her" Leo says.

Liam sighs heavily and they walk in silence following the confused yet passionate Hadrian.

At nightfall

Irene's POV
I took a look at myself in the mirror one last time,I see the scars on my face that the guards gave me while locked up in that cell,I also remember when Hadrian would touch my cheek and the pain goes away.

My thoughts are interrupted as a guard opens the door without so much as knocking.

"The King would like you to have dinner with you" he says almost immediately.

I was about to reject the offer when my stomach growled at me.

"After you" I say to him and he leads me through the halls.  It was mostly dark seeing there was no windows at all. The palace us like a cave.

We get to a huge door , eight foot tall as it screech open and I walk in. Cedric sat at the far end of the long dining table.

"Please join me" he smiles as he motioned his hands for me to takes seat.
I walk slowly and took a seat. My mouth was already watery. There were lots of dishes on the table, the fruits , all of them I just wanted to dig in but I hesitated.

"Why would I kill you now Irene,it's not poisoned beside I am going for a bigger price" he states.

He was right though, I immediately started eating and I have never tasted such sweetness.

"Why do you want Hadrian dead?" I ask curiously.

He sighs and gives me a wicked smile "the prince killed my boy and delivered him to my bed" he says with a lot of anger in his tone as he stabs a knife in the table.

"Why did he kill him?" I press forward ignoring the annoyed look on his face.

"I sent some of my men months ago to scout the area, my son begged to be on the team, I let him go , he took it too far and tried to steal the scrolls showing every entrance to the kingdom. He got caught. Hadrian stripped him naked and threatened to cut of his manhood if he did not say who sent him. He broke eventually and Hadrian killed my boy" he glared at me.

I could feel his frustration "you sent them there to find a way for you to attack our city again , so boo hoo" I say to him and continue my meal.

"I like you Irene" he smiles and throws a berry in his mouth"too bad I'm going to kill Hadrian"he finishes.

"Have at it" I simply say.

"I can help you" he glares at me.

I scoff"thank you but I can get what I want myself" I get up immediately and start to walk out.

"Stop her" he orders a guard and he blocks my path.

"I thought I was a guest here,I mean the clothes, the food" I tell him.

"You are but I am still in control" he smile wickedly"take her back to the room"he orders and the guard grabs my hands and pulled me out.

**********
Third Person's POV

It was dawn now and Hadrian and the others were on the move again. He hadn't eaten since last night but he was as focused as ever.

"Alright, we are here. There might be hostility so we use the tunnels, we get in quick" Hadrian announces.

"Won't he know we're coming?" Eleanor asks.

"Yeah what if it's a trap?"Frederick adds and Eleanor rolls her eyes.

" it is a trap and we're already in it but I don't want to carry all my men with me into the tunnels, there are two of them so we split up" Hadrian tell them "Leo,Liam,you're with me. Eleanor and Fred , you take the other tunnel" he finishes and Eleanor frowns at the thought of it.

"Okay, be careful" Fred says and shakes Hadrian knightly.

"You too" Hadrain taps his shoulder and the two teams separated.

"Try to keep up" Eleanor says to Fred and he just smiles following her in to the tunnel.

The walk was silent for a while after they Eleanor and Fred got in the tunnels.

  "Do you know where you're going?" Fred began.

"Do you mind if we don't talk?" She replies.

"Come on Eleanor, you can't be mad at me forever" Fred says.

"You wanna bet" She scoffs.

"Eleanor stop" Fred say coming to halt.

She sighs and stops lowering her sword.

"What do you say when I'm sorry is not enough,I mean we are going in there to rescue her,don't you think this should just end" he tells her.

"Hey don't stop. You think this is just about us, this is bigger than us, God forbid if my sister sits on that throne, she would control everything including Hadrian. I was trying to stop that and you and Hadrian almost got Irene killed" she sobs.

"But you forgave Hadrian" He points out.

"Yeah but he's not you Fred" she snapped.

Fred walks closer and cups her face"hey I'm still here".

"I don't know Fred" she says putting his hands down and moving forward.

"So what are you saying?" He asks.

"I'm saying maybe we need a break" Eleanor concludes and keeps walking forward leaving Fred to his thoughts.

She moved forward not looking back that she didn't notice Fred was gone , he wasn't at her back.

She turned slowly"Fred, Fred where are you. Fred!"she held tight on her sword but didn't notice when someone creeped behind her and pulled her out.

~Quinofsmiles✨