Chapter 28

28✨.

Irene's POV.

It was deep dark in the midnight sky now. Hadrian and the others sat around the fire while sitting by the waters thinking of everything that has happened to me. "Am I really going to let people hurt me whenever they feel like it?" I thought to myself.

I heaved a sigh as footsteps address me.

"Hey" I turned my back to see Leo towering over me.

"Hey" I simply say.

"We are deciding on what to do next, you might want to join" he smiled at me.

I thought about it for a while before nodding my head to show I have accepted.
Leo stretches his hand forward to help me up, I reach for it, dusting myself as I got up and followed him.

"Alright everyone, take a seat"Hadrian began as I rolled my eyes and sat down on the log of wood Leo introduced me to.

"We leave at first light, we'll take the route to the far side of the east" Hadrian continues.

"Wait, why east? We came from south" Eleanor inquires.

"It only makes sense, Cedric would assume we are going to use the same route we took to get here. We outsmart him" Liam says and I scoff at the sound of his guilty voice.

"Liam's right. We outsmart Cedric and we'll be on our way home safely, the east is far but I think we can figure out a way to get our horses to be faster, our only problem will be food which we can improvise on our way back home" Hadrian tells us.

"What of Irene? I mean she's still under a kill order" Fred says.

"Yeah that's true" Liam added.

I groan out loud" why do you act like you care?" I snap.

"Irene?...." He was about to start but I cut him off.

"You are very funny Liam, running off, then helping Cedric kidnap me, and now acting like you care if I die!".

" I do care, you..." he was about to finish but I threw a piece of wood on the floor and turned my head in another direction showing I wasn't interested in his explanation.

Silence crept in then it was cut off by Hadrian" okay, we are not the adversary. The kill order has been lifted but we'll just have to sneak her into the city until everyone knows it has been lifted" he says.

I look at him in the eye directly and he stares back. How I have missed the eyes and hated them at the same time.

"Wait how do you know that?" Fred asks.

Hadrian never let go of our gaze, he kept on staring at me as he answered Fred"I talked to my father".

I scoff at his response"You think you're all good too?" I say and he looks confused.

"Irene, not now okay?" Eleanor tells me.

"No no, yes now, I have an idea. Instead of sneaking me in, why don't we just walk up to the king and tell him you left your wedding to save the witch who put you under a love spell?" I snapped as tears flooded my eyeballs.

Hadrian bent his head speechless.

"Yeah, yes.." I chuckle slightly“ that is exactly what I thought"I stood up and walked away from the fire to where I sat before and cry away my pain.

**************
Hadrian's POV
The cock crows happily signifying the bright morning sun that rises in the east.

"The gods are on our side today," Fred says as he and Eleanor brush their horse. We found the horses not so far away from where we made camp.

"We'll share a horse, there's nowhere I can get if I'm still wounded," Fred says talking to Eleanor.

"Of course, you won't" she laughs and mounts the horse and then helps Frederick get up too.

"Hey, you need help there?" I ask Irene seeing her struggle to get on the horse. She is a height though.

"No, I'm fine" she states clearly.

I held her hands as she shrugs and then looks at me.

"I'm sorry Irene, for everything that happened. I never meant for it to happen the way it did" I confess.

"And yet it did" she sobs" just leave me, Hadrian, this is what you wanted," she says.

"Of course not, why will I enjoy seeing you hurt. I would have liked you to get out" I say.

"When? When my lifeless body lays on the ground or when Cedric would have killed me. When Hadrian?" She cries hitting my chest.

"Irene stop, I hate seeing you like this.  I only did that to protect my reputation" I tell her.

"By destroying mine!" She exclaims.

Her tears made me feel like I should hurt everyone who hurt her, but then I realize that everyone is just me, all me.

"And here I was thinking you changed but you are still the same selfish Hadrian who thinks of nothing but himself" she cries and angrily gets on the horse.

"Irene, I...."I try to call out but she kicks the horse and follows Eleanor and Fred who were on their way.

"Give her time" Leo's voice crept behind me.

"You think she'll forgive me?" I ask.

Leo shakes his head"this whole thing changed her, so for now I can't answer that" he tells me.

I simply nod"let's go," I say and we mounted our horses and moved following the others.

❤❤
Vote, share, comment ❤
I love you✨