Chapter 37

37🌹.

Irene's POV
   The breeze was freeze-chilling as the trees swayed to the serenity and quietness of the woods, although the crickets weren't that quiet. It wasn't so hard to leave the city gates, all I did was trick the guards out of their posts which made me feel like a child again. I recall the moments I had with Liam when we were little, we would go from house to house tricking every mean person we know. It was always fun, we both would come back dusty and dirty, and our parents would scold us but we did not stop, stubborn, I know.

I pull my horse as we come to a halt and I get down.

“Okay, so we would be camping here tonight" I stand akimbo.

The horse neighs. I take my bag and brought out its food. “Here you go boy" I stretch my palm for it to eat as I rub his nose “You're going to have to manage this for tonight, I'm sure wherever Hadrian is, there will be food". I heaved a sigh as I took out a blanket and laid it on the floor. I sat down and ate something first before I laid on the blanket facing the sky.

What will Hadrian be doing, what is he up to? Those were my first thoughts as I lay down, why dd I care, I was only doing this for my city, and no one else. I shook the thought off as I admired the night sky. An endless mystery beyond the human eye, a whole new realm, just waiting to be discovered. The night sky has always been a place for me to just sit and think, away from the city and negative people. I looked at the sky again and wonder if it would be possible to count the number of stars or constellations. I smile at the thought as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

*******

“Wake up little princess" a familiar voice stumbles upon me as my eyes open slowly with me using my hands to rub the sleep off.  My eyes caught with a man in armor. I quickly pushed myself up and away from him.

It was Cedric. He stood above me with three other men, they all laughed seeing me push farther and farther away from them.

“You know her sire?" one of them asked.

“She was my prisoner once. Don't mind the looks, she has a very sharp mouth and an attitude to it" he smirked. “Her prince charming came to save her, if not I would have ripped her off for mocking the death of my son".

I got up swiftly and grab the sword strapped to my horse and swung it in their faces.

“Woah!" They exclaimed.

Cedric laughed “Ouuu, I told you she has an attitude, a very sharp one," he says referring to my sword. “Drop the sword girl, you're surrounded," he tells me.

I swallow the gulp in my throat as I rack my brain thinking of every possible way to get to the valley on foot.

“Come on now, let me take you back to Diera," Cedric says. I furrow my eyebrows as I slowly lower my sword with the other hand up. Immediately my hand got to the ground I took a handful of sand and whipped it in their eyes. My legs were now touching my head as I ran away from them.

“Get her!" I could hear Cedric exclaim and the chase was on. I ran in a crisscross way dodging every arrow they threw at me. I feared for my life but I could not turn back.

“Make sure I don't get you, girl!" I turn to see Cedric also on the chase. I ran and ran and then I found myself at the entrance of the valley. It began with a steep hill, I looked behind but I couldn't see further. Footsteps approached me fast and I drew out my dagger.

“Wow! You are a runner, I'll give you that"Cedric says rubbing his eyes “Let's go peacefully now and I'll forget what you did".

I shook my head, looking back at the steep hill.