Chapter 39

Hiiiiiii
It's been FIVE MONTHS, University can have that effect on you with a little vacation. Please stay with me.  Here is one Chapter for you all. I hope you love it. 
Mwah!

Irene's POV

My eyes surge open with the sound of ceramic falling from a distance making my head ring. I hadn't gotten enough sleep. I shrugged getting up, rubbing my temples continuously. The noise came again. I got up hurriedly and made my way to where the noise came from, the front room. It was Hadrian. He stood just a few steps away from more broken pieces. My eyes widened and so did Hadrian's.

"What are you doing here?" He flared up, his face sore and swollen.

"Excuse me?" I scoffed.

"You heard me."

I laughed a bit, I marveled at how he was acting "I am here to bring the prince back."

"Really?!" He exclaimed looking amused "Well, you must know that I came here on my own accord and as such I certainly do not need rescuing, I'd advise you leave." He glared at me with a stern look. I was stupefied, I had never seen Hadrian in such a state. I pitied him.

"Leave?, it's a shame I can not do that your majesty" I gave a bow. He seemed to calm down as he approached me. My legs wanted to run but I had to stand my ground, Hadrian was stubborn. I braced up and glared at him as he took his steps slowly and stayed inches away from me. His eyes were cold, I could see nothing but bitterness and hate, for who? I asked myself.

“Hadrian, are you okay?” I ask promptly.

He bent his head and raised a brow shoving past me “Why do you care?” he asks picking a bottle from behind the curtain, opening it, and taking a gulp before hissing.

“I never said I do, you need to have your bath, you smell like mead sire” 

“That's not true” he perceived himself and withdrew which pleased me. He looked over his shoulder to look at me “Are you laughing at me?” 

“Certainly not your highness” I lied.

“Alright then, make yourself useful and prepare my bath” his order caused me to gape.

I forced a reply “With all due respect sire, there is no bathtub here, you'd have to use the river”

He appeared disgusted “Wow! Okay, thank you” he frowned why did his mood change? I asked myself.

“It's warm” 

“I said thank you Irene” He gave a stern look, gathered some clothes, and walked out. That was strange. I was sad and angry at the same time. I felt like it was my fault, I thought he was just cheering up one minute ago and the next, he was flaring up. I remembered once when he was an arrogant man, he wouldn't say so much as a thank you, he did whatever pleases him, and spoke however he sees fit. He was the son of his father indeed but under all that, he had a good heart, one that needed a hand to hold. Though he has tried to act tough most times he could see past many people's faults. He was a good man and I, a servant. He is a prince and I, a slave. What good could come out of it, it can never be I thought to myself. I couldn't believe that I was falling in love with him, Prince Hadrian.

**************
Hadrian's POV
It was a gentle breeze outside, the trees swung to their melodies as my wet hair began to dry. I sat at the bank of the river hoping they would sweep me away. I would have drowned myself but I thought to myself what good will that do? None, I sighed. My thoughts drifted to the woman who was in my hut. I tried to be mad at her but it seems like I couldn't. Irene was a good person, kind, and loving, even to those who would choose to harm her. She met the needs of her people well, she loved her family, and she was prayerful above all. She indeed would make a fine Queen. I shook my head, no matter how much I would want that, it can not be.

I sat in silence as the once gentle breeze grew into a wild one, the dark clouds gathered and the birds flew out of sight. It was becoming chilling. My ears are triggered by footsteps approaching, I look over my shoulder to find Irene. She stood not very far from me for a few seconds before approaching to sit.

“Why do you drink Hadrian?" She begins, boldly.

I raised a brow and looked at her, her eyes were filled with emotions. I took time to look at her and reminisce on everything we'd been through, the times we smiled at each other and even kissed, I couldn't believe I Prince Hadrian Wales would find myself falling in love with a servant.

“I don't know, I guess it helps the thinking and helps me forget the people who walked out of my life” I reply.

“You almost cost me my life Hadrian, I had to do what I did,” she says plainly. It was confusing, she was just filled with emotions.

I scoffed and nodded leaving us in an awkward silence. She dipped her feet in the water and played her leg in it. I smiled.

“When I was a boy after my blindness...” I began, Irene adjusted to a comfortable position, her feet still in the water to look at me. “My father and I would go fishing, I have never seen him as happy as he used to be when we went on fishing, it made me forget I was a prince and I'll just act like a normal boy, sometimes, only sometimes, I would think I'll probably have my freewill and live in a small hut with a river and plant crops and go farming” I smiled and Irene chuckled at my statement.

“My father laughed at me too, I loved my father, I believed in the tyrant he was training me to become, he would always say, don't be like your mother, she was weak and that is what killed her. I trusted him and he killed her” I concluded as my hands drew into fists on the sand.

I looked away from the m Irene, I didn't want her to see me in this state. I felt warmth as her hand trickled upon my palm on the sand.

“I am sorry he did that and I understand” She looked at me as a tear escaped from her eyes rolling down her cheek. She was crying for my story. She never ceased to amaze me. The breeze played with her hair and covered her face. I didn't know what to do and that's not like me, I always know what to do around women. I hesitated before moving my hands, I shifted her hair back to wipe off the tear and caress her cheeks.

Our eyes locked and I couldn't stop myself, I was drawn in, our heads moving closer. Thunder struck and it began to rain. We both jumped up.

“It's going to be very cold tonight, I'll gather some firewood and set the fireplace” She got up unhurriedly and walked away. I groaned loud slapping myself on the head.

A/N

Hi❤❤❤❤

Vote ✅

Comment 💬

Share 🌍

God loves you!!
And I do too.

Bye for now❣