Chapter fourteen 🥺

The course of true love will never run smoothly ❤.

Irene's POV

    My first day of staying at home was the worst. Hadrian insisted that I take a day off, he would have said three days but staying at home for three days doing nothing sounds like a whole lot of work to me. I woke up, greet my father, cooked, help him with some errands, did the chores, sat in my bed and wear every single dress I have and wondered what it was like being royalty but I just know it isn't meant for me. I am me, a slave, a servant, and nothing more.

I lay on my bed and my first thought was Hadrian, he kept coming to my head constantly, it was driving me crazy. Ever since I was remedied, I felt like something about the way I saw Hadrian changed. I kept on seeing him and relating him to the woman in my dreams. I never could capture her face, it was always blurry but something about her and Hadrian always took me off.

"Irene you need to come fast!"Hattie flashed into my house abruptly panting.

"Hattie, what's wrong?" I ask curiously.

"It's your father," she says and my eyes darted"he has been arrested and taken to the palace" she finishes.

I didn't pause to know what she meant as tears swiveled down my cheeks. I ran out not minding how I looked or anything. I entered the palace gates and into the hallways I found myself.

"Where is he?" I sob.

"The throne room I guess, I saw guards dragging him in" she tells me, and my legs immediately found their way into the throne room. The place was surrounded by the knights and the royal council and a few servants.

"Father" I whisper on seeing him on his knees before the king. I try to rush to meet him but Hattie holds me.

"What is your name?" Triton asks sitting on his throne.

"Dion Gracia majesty" he seemed to cry and my heart became so heavy, what did he do? I ask myself.

"You were caught in the tunnels by the guards and it appeared to be that you were smuggling gold" Triton points out.

Smuggling gold! My father was involved in smuggling, which can not be possible. Smuggling in Deira is a huge offense,  it was seen as treason, and anyone who commits treason is sentenced to death. I prayed under my breath, my father can not possibly be involved in smuggling.

"Is this true or do you pledge false?" Triton clenched his fists, tears filled my eyes this time. Natasha and Isolde stood by the corner smiling. Why are they smiling? 

Father shakes his head" yes my lord". With this, I broke down completely falling to my knees and crying bitterly but silently as Hattie caressed my vulcanite hair.

"Why did you do it? Who did you do it for?" Did Triton seem to be asking the right question? 

I could notice that my father held something back like he wanted to say a name but couldn't"no one sire, it was out of my free will" I could tell he was fabricating.

"Out of your free will," Triton chuckles darkly "you know the rules, Dion ".

"I do sire," he says.

Triton walks down the step toward my father" you have been found guilty of treason" Triton says.

No this can't happen, he's all I have, I pray under my breath.

"Dion Gracia...by the power bestowed in me by the great gods of our land, I Triton Wales, King of Deira hereby sentence you to death" he finishes.