29. {the perigee-syzygy}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

theo had driven the sophomores to the animal clinic: moonee, fran and hayden had napped in the back while theo and liam conversed in the front.

currently, the three girls were in a corner, sitting closely on the ground.

"they're getting worse." theo explained, "i think they're dying. it's got to be some kind of mercury poisoning."

"scott, remember what you promised me- you said you'd do everything you could to save them." liam reminded his alpha, "if fran and hayden are real werewolves, we can save them. you gotta give both of them the bite."

"no."

liam shot to his feet, "what do you mean, no?"

"liam, look at them." scott pointed to the three girls on the floor.

moonee had hayden's head in her lap and franchie's head resting on her shoulder. the two girls were sickly pale and had dark eye bags.

"they're too weak. it will kill them." scott indicated, "we don't even know what the mercury's doing to them, we don't even know if it's actually mercury. this can't be the only way to save them."

"it saved mine." liam argued.

"you know that was different." scott sighed, "you were hanging off a ledge."

"he was?" moonee whispered to herself, clearly forgetting her friend's transformation.

"you promised!" liam raised his voice, "you said you'd do everything you could."

"which is why i'm not going to do something i think is going to kill them."

"moonee?" liam looked over to the girl for support.

moonee carefully stood up from the ground, readjusting the girls and shaking her head. "he's right, liam. they're already chimeras so we have no idea how their bodies will react to the bite."

"are you serious?" liam gritted his teeth, "you should be with me on this, don't you want to save them?!"

"of course i want to save them." moonee gave him a glare, "but i want to save them in the most cautious way possible, where we won't be putting their lives at jeopardy! who knows, maybe the bite could speed up their dying process."

"moonee-"

"so don't get mad at scott when he's the only one logically thinking between the two of you." moonee ranted, "did fran or hayden even say they wanted the bite?"

no response.

"then it would be morally wrong."

"there has to be..." scott began, "there has to..." he started panting.