42. {broken compass}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

first day back at school and the sophomores had a new physics teacher, garrett douglas. he had just finished drawing a cat on the blackboard with coloured chalk.

moonee, liam, mason hewitt, corey bryant, francesca santiago and hayden romero sat in the same row together, in that order.

"shrödinger's cat!" the man exclaimed as he turned around. all of the girls were watching him in complete awe, he was an attractive man.

mr douglas seemed to notice the looks he was receiving and tried to make a joke to lighten the tension, "ah, i can see i impressed you all with my artistic abilities."

franchie giggled loudly, and hayden turned and looked at her in doubt. franchie simply shrugged and took the girl's hand under the table. liam, who had been watching their interaction from across the table, turned to his girlfriend.

she had her elbows resting on the table and her chin in her hands, staring at the man dreamily. liam, starting to get jealous of her attraction to their teacher, nudged her leg under the table. she snapped out of her trance and stuck her tongue out at him.

"schrödinger puts his cat in a box with poisonous food. now, until he opens that box, the cat is, in theory, both alive and dead. but, when he opens it, it's either 'hello, mittens' or 'goodbye, socks'."

once again, franchie chuckles at his lame joke, along with several other girls in the class, which only made hayden more exasperated as garrett continued his lecture.

"putting aside the potential animal abuse here, what does it have to do with physics?"

all of the women in the class raised their hands. "yes, hayden?" mr douglas selected her.

hayden smirked at her girlfriend. "it illustrates the concept of quantum superposition. light is both a particle and a wave until it is observed."

mr douglas smiled proudly, "yes! excellent answer. very impressive."

franchie looked at the girl in disbelief, lightly shaking her head with a smile.

"does observing something change its behavior? or alter its outcome?" mr douglas questioned. "that's the question of today's lab on page 117. break into groups of four."

the two boys sat in front of franchie and hayden asked to work with them, leaving the two other couples to join as a group.

as they did so, mason, who was looking at something on his phone, frowned in concern. "have any of you guys noticed that phones can't geolocate today?"