48. {the k index}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"the k index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field." liam read out.

he, mason and franchie were in the library. it was the day after the disastrous party and they needed to discuss their next move. while hayden chose to shadow gwen the whole day, franchie decided to stay with the boys.

the brunette boy thought for a second, trying to understand what he just read out. "and what is k index?" liam asked his two best friends.

"it's a scale that meteorologists used to measure thunderstorm activity." mason explained to them, his macbook sat in front of him. "a valor of k index lower to twenty means no activity and above thirty five is severe."

"how bad is severe?" franchie questioned.

"well, the average storm has, about, a thousand lightning strikes. in the past three months, the average storm in beacon hills had five thousand." mason informed her.

"what's it reading now?" liam inquired.

mason clicked his laptop to refresh the page. "fourteen. we're clear." he sighed in relief.

"so if a spike in the k index means more lightning... we could tell if they're coming." liam quickly put the pieces together.

"yeah." mason nodded.

"this is good." liam smiled.

"yeah."

"hey, where's moon?" franchie hummed. "wasn't she supposed to meet you guys here?"

liam knew the question was directed to him and he cringed, remembering how their conversation had ended last night. the boy cleared his throat. "no idea."

"you sure?" franchie asked. "i didn't want to say anything before, but you seemed pretty angry and standoffish yesterday in the car."

"yeah, just... she didn't understand how i was feeling and i got annoyed. and i know i shouldn't have, but i still can't help but be irritated by it. and i'm trying to steer clear of her so i don't have an outburst."

"you know it's not her fault, right?" franchie reminded him, her own words from the previous night haunting her mind.

"i know. it's just- i just need to let the tension go down." liam finalised.

mason's computer began to beep, displaying the k index number was rising by the second. the boy watched the screen with an anxious look. "never mind.... this is really bad."

"so they're coming, and they're coming soon." franchie groaned, pulling at her loose curls in anxiety. "what do we do about everyone at the party?"

"we need to hide them." mason said.

"we need to fight them." liam countered.

"we need to hide them."

the three were so invested in their discussion that they hadn't realised scott had entered the library, until he was right by their table.