45. {mr douglas' coughing fit}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

now in physics class, everyone was sitting in their pairs while their teacher, mr douglas was holding up a metal rod as he stood before all of the students.

"power. the ability, to control things. this metal, has no power. it's small. weak. insignificant." he told them. "is there anything we can do to change that?"

corey, sat next to mason raised his hand in confidence. mason, who was reading his book, looked up in surprise at corey's sudden volunteering. moonee smiled at the boy, liam told her how they had put aside their differences and how corey was acting an okay guy.

mr douglas pointed at him. "corey, whatchu got?"

"we can add electricity." corey suggested.

"exactly." mr douglas smiled at him with pride. "we turn this metal rod." he placed the rod on the table before he turned his attention to a bowl next to him and held up another metal rod wrapped in copper coil. "into a magnet. now, it has power. now, it has influence... over others."

moonee observed intently as her teacher placed a metal ball inside the bowl. he switched on the battery attached to the magnet and began to move the magnet around the bowl, making the ball spin around the bowl and the ball's speed increase.

suddenly, mr douglas began suffering a coughing fit. his junior students' face's dropped, wondering if he was okay. he paused for a moment but started coughing again.

hayden sat up straighter in her chair, a frown of concern on her face. "are you okay mr douglas?"

his wheezing seized. "just a little cough."

"would you like some water?" moonee suggested, her eyes unknowingly turning a faint blue at the mention of the element. liam caught this and so placed his hand on her thigh. she glanced over at him in confusion, but it had already faded before he could point it out.

"thank you, moonee." the man nodded. "i have some with me. where were we? um... right, now we have electricity, and a little bit of power. let's add a little more. after all, greater the power... greater the control."

his struggle to breathe triggered again, this time more forceful. he violently slammed his palm onto the table, attempting to stabilise himself. moonee and liam looked over at each other, both looking frightened and confused.

"what the fuck?" moonee mouthed to him.

"language." he mouthed back.

"really?"

mr douglas grabbed his bottle of water and sipped some of it to ease his coughing. he took a steadying breath and decided to keep revealing more about the metal rod.

"mr douglas, it's okay." franchie spoke up. "you don't have to continue, i think we understand what you're trying to teach us."

"yeah." the class agreed with her statement. no one wanted to see him suffer.