Forty Eight / Terrible Turkey Day

November 24th, 2011

"Good morning, Dad," I say, kissing him on the cheek. "Did you sleep good last night?" I move my way around the breakfast bar to grab some coffee that was in the pot.

"Very well, actually. It was the best I'd slept since my heart attack," he replies, chuckling. Even though he is laughing, I find it hard to muster up a smile. The danger of his heart attack was very real and I don't think he quite fully understood it.

I choose my response carefully, but the words stop in my mouth when I look up to see Paul coming down the hallway. It's hard to describe, but the way he looks in the morning is just plain sexy. His hair is all messed up and the way he walks is almost too much to handle. I don't notice that I'm biting my lip until I see his smirk. Shaking my head, I focus back on my coffee.

We haven't got back to where we used to be before everything with my niece's paternity, but we're getting there. However, it's rather quicker than I thought it would be. It's being able to survive things like that that makes our love for each other even stronger.

No matter how rough things get, I will always love this man with everything that I am. Nobody I know can push me, inspire me, or love me the way he does. It's a little cliche and full of cheesiness but we are made for each other.

"Morning, morning, morning," Paul says, sitting down in a chair next to my dad. "How are you feeling, James?" My father and my husband always seemed to get along so well. I remember the times when they would sit at the kitchen table at home back in Tennessee talking about cars all night long. Paul has yet to show him his car collection, but I know that when he does, their bond will probably be deeper than ours. Guy and their cars, I tell ya.

My dad smiles. "I'm doing okay, thank you." We've had to keep a close eye on him. My father has a tendency to not tell us when something is going on. When he had his heart attack, he had went to the bathroom since he wasn't feeling well without telling anyone. That lead to Paul finding him in the bathroom and this is where we are now. I would love to keep my father around as long as possible, but he had to start cooperating.

I pour Paul a cup of coffee and hand it to him. "Did you check on the kids?"

"Yeah. They are both sound asleep," he replies, taking a sip of his coffee.

I nod, walking over to the fridge. I still had a couple of more things to make for our Thanksgiving dinner at Paul's parents house. Like last year, I am in charge of the desserts. The problem is, I've got two little pigs who like to sneak a couple of bites before we are actually supposed to eat them. So, I've also got to keep an eye on Paul and Meadow along with my dad.

"Hey, what time do we have to go over there again?" I ask, turning around to look at Paul. He answers me, but I don't really hear it. I catch my dad holding a hand over his chest, his mouth forming a straight line. Panic instantly runs through my veins and I rush over to him. "Dad? What's going on? Are you okay?" I grab his hand and squeeze it. After losing both my mom and my precious Haley only a year ago, I can't lose my dad.

He squeezes my hand back. "I'm okay, Sierrabear. That sip of coffee just went down the wrong way." Dad removes his hand from his chest, but the grimace is still clear on his face. I'm not sure whether or not I should believe him.

"Would you tell me if something was going on?" A mixture of emotions seep into my voice. My dad is so stubborn about things like this. "You need to tell us. I want you to be here."

"Sierra, I'm fine. To answer your question, yes, I would tell you. I want to be able to see my grandchildren grow up." The grimace fades off of his face and I feel myself starting to calm down.