Fifty / A Good Scare

June 8th, 2012

"Are you sure I can't convince you to go surfing with us?" Paul asks, wrapping his arms around me from behind. Clearly he has other intentions from the way he's acting, so I play into that just so I can tease him. He absolutely hates it when I do that, but it's just so much fun. Besides, he's a sucker for it.

I push my butt into his crotch as I bend over to pick up the sunscreen that had conveniently fell in the floor. By conveniently, I mean that I knocked it onto the floor. "I'm positive," I reply, fully knowing what he is feeling right about now.

Once I come back up, his arms around around me again. This time, his lips are leaving a trail of kisses toward the center of my back, where I feel my bikini top string come loose. "The things you do to me..." He trails off, making me shiver slightly. It's almost a game to us to see who can make the other go weak in the knees first. Usually it's me, just because my husband is incredibly sexy. Of course, there are instances where I win the game, but this time I'm going to lose.

"Meadow could walk in at any moment," I whisper, trying to get him to stop. If it was up to me, I wouldn't want him to stop. But there is a teenager who could walk in, and I seriously doubt she wants to see this. If she wasn't here, there would be no stopping.

Paul sighs and lays his head on my shoulder. "Tonight, okay? I need some wife time." His hands slide down over my hips, and I have a feeling he's not totally ready to step away for now.

I push his hands away and hold my hair up so he can fix my bikini top."Okay, I promise. Let's go on outside and enjoy this pretty day." I turn around and kiss him on the cheek, then walk out of the room.

Today is a beautiful day in Santa Barbara. It's a little on the cool side, which is unusual for this time of the year. The sun is shining bright, and so am I. Things have gotten better since Paul brought me to the beach house a few weeks ago. Of course, I still have my moments where I am completely down, but Paul and I work through them together as a team. I miss my parents and my angel terribly, but I have my husband and two beautiful girls who need me. After being in my depression for so long, they cannot lose me again.

Walking into the kitchen, I observe Meadow making Aubree a bottle. I'm really proud of the way she has stepped up to take care of her sister. I wasn't all of the way there when it came to Aubree, so I'm glad that Meadow was there to help out when she was needed. She must have heard me walk in because she says, "She started crying so I figured she must be hungry."

I nod and walk over to Aubree who is sitting in her high chair. "How's my precious baby girl doing?" I smile at her and she grins and reaches for me. I pick her up out of her high chair and put her on my hip. "Thanks for making the bottle, I'll feed her."

Meadow hands me the bottle then moves around me to sit on one of the breakfast bar chairs. She seems to really be focusing on something and she's looking at me kind of funny, although I'm not really sure why. "Can I ask you something?"

I glance at Aubree for a moment. "Sure, what is it?" I have absolutely no idea where this is going.

"The other day, you got a phone call about a doctor's appointment and they said it was important. Is everything okay?" The weird look she had turns into a look of concern, and she does have reason to be. The doctor's appointment she was talking about was my mammogram that I get every four months. I'm waiting on the results, which actually should be back today. I'm beyond nervous to find out what it says. My heart can't bear to think that something bad will happen.

Obviously, I can't give her the answer she wants to hear, since I don't even know the answer myself. However, I can't let her worry about it. She's only thirteen yet she's been through so much. This doesn't need to be something she needs to stress about. "Yeah, everything's fine. It was just a checkup."