Thirty / A Fast Birthday

September 12th, 2010

I open the door to Meadow's room slowly, not wanting to wake her. I get down on my hands and knees and crawl over to her bed, then gaze down at the real life Sleeping Beauty. I see so much of Paul in her. Pausing for a minute, I silently wonder if our child will have as much of Paul in them as Meadow does. She hates to be tickled, but that's always how I wake her up when she is with us. I place my hands over her then start tickling her. "Come on, Meadow! It's time to get up!"

She instantly wakes up, moving in all directions, trying to get away from me. "I'm up! I'm up!" Her laughter is contagious, just like her father's.

I stop tickling her and smile. "You want to help me make your dad some birthday breakfast?"

"Sure," she says, smiling back at me.

Today was my amazing husband's birthday. We were still here in Rio as the filming for Fast Five continued. Paul wasn't able to get any time off for today, since I have a checkup next week that he is getting off for. It didn't bother him that he had to work on his birthday as much as it bothered him that his family couldn't make the trip to celebrate today with him. I know he wishes his family could be here, but he's 'perfectly content' with it just being us three together.

Even though his family couldn't make it, I still have a very special day planned for him. He knew that we are going to do something tonight, but what it was he didn't know. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, and I can't wait to see how it all goes down.

Meadow leads down the hallway into the kitchen. "I'll get the biscuits out!" she exclaims, disappearing around the corner.

Making my way down the hallway, I stop when I see my reflection out of the corner of my eye in the mirror. I can't help but stare at my belly. I'll be 12 weeks in two days, but I really don't have that big of a baby bump. I raise my shirt up and look. You can see a slight pudge, but that's about it. As of right now, Paul and I are the only ones who know. We haven't told anyone about my pregnancy because we wanted to wait until the danger period is over and it was safe. But tonight, that's going to change.

Both of us were excited to let everyone know about this baby. We had discussed about telling everyone before, and we talked about how we thought Meadow might take it.

--

Flashback

August 27th, 2010

Paul and I are laying in bed after a long day of filming. Since it was such a long day, I went to set with him so I wouldn't be by myself. I have to say I really enjoyed it. Obviously with everyone there, it was a lot of fun and a lot of endless laughing. The only bad part about today was the morning sickness. I have been getting that since earlier this week. But when our baby comes, it will all be worth it.

"What are you thinking about?" Paul asks, kissing my forehead softly.

"I'm just thinking about the baby," I reply. I don't have to look at Paul to know that he's smiling. After a minute of silence, I speak again. "Paul, I have to ask you something, and I want you to answer honestly."

He shifts a little. "I'll always be honest, love."

I take a deep breath. "How do you think Meadow will feel about this baby? Do you think she'll be jealous or happy?" I was concerned about how she would react to the news.

Paul chuckles. "I know she is going to love having a little brother or sister."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I can remember this one time when she was four years old and she asked me, 'Daddy, are you and Mommy going to give me a bubby or sissy? All of my friends have one and I want one.' To be honest I didn't really know how to answer her, because Rebecca and I weren't together anymore," he stops for a second to pull me closer. "I'm positive that she will be estatic to know she'll finally be getting the sibling she's been asking for since she was little."