Thirty Three / All Hallows' Eve

October 31st, 2010

I stick my head out into the hallway looking down it. "Paul?" I ask, loudly. No answer. Walking back into our room, I search for a note that might lead to where he is. He would've answered if I called for him, especially how the way things have been for the past month. There isn't any need for explanation in that department.

With no note turning up, I go from room to room, searching for any signs of Paul. Unfortunately I come up emptyhanded. The only unusual thing I find in my search is a couple of boxes in the spare bedroom, which hold some decorations we were going to put up for Meadow's birthday.

Meadow's room seemed fine, so I walk into the kitchen. It was almost lunchtime, so I expected Paul to be in the going through the fridge's contents, but no Paul. This was so out of the ordinary.

My stomach begins to grumble, and I sigh. Since it is almost lunchtime, I should probably make some stuff to eat for when Paul comes home, because he is going to be super hungry. I walk over to the fridge, and I am fixing to open it when I notice a note on the door.

Went to go get Meadow from the airport. I'll have the usual for lunch. I love you. -Paul

I laugh softly. Typical of him to give me his lunch order for when he would be back. I walk back to the bedroom, note in hand, to give him a call. He answers on the first ring, but doesn't say anything. He probably knows that I found the note. "So you really expect me to make this lunch for you?" I ask.

He bursts out into laughter. "Well, you love me don't you?"

"Don't use my love for you against me." I pout.

"I would never."

"I'm sure."

He laughs and moves on to a different subject. "I'm glad you called. I'm just now picking up Meadow from the airport, and we are fixing to go get lunch. Would you like to join us?"

My mouth forms into a line. "I don't know, Paul. I don't want to intrude."

Paul sighs. "Meadow, why don't you go tell Caleb and Stephanie thank you?" I can hear the truck door shut on the other end. "Sierra, please come with us. You haven't done much of anything for the past month."

"How do you know I haven't done anything?" It was true, but he was away for filming. There isn't any way he could've known I've just been sitting around the house.

"I had Callie do a little spying for me. I've been a concerned husband." It doesn't surprise me that he had Callie look after me. "You haven't been out much. When we skyped while I was gone you didn't seem like yourself. Now you don't want to spend time with me and Meadow?"

I sit down on the bed for support. My eyes were filling up with tears, for the hundred thousandth time this past month. It was like it was a never ending cycle of tears; a fresh batch in only a few minutes. "It's not that I don't want to spend time with you two, because I really do. I just don't know if I feel up for it. I haven't even talked to Meadow since we told her. How can I even look that beautiful girl in the eyes and pretend like nothing is wrong?"

"You don't have to pretend, love. She understands that a lot of things are going on right now. She loves you and she wants nothing more than to see you happy, just like me. I hate seeing you lay in bed all day crying and me feeling like there's nothing I can do to help you. Losing the baby and your mom within a few months has got to be hard, but I'm here for you." Paul's soft, calming voice always helps.

It takes a minute for me to answer, but when I finally do, I find myself saying, "Okay, I'll go."

I can feel Paul's smile through the phone. "Good. We'll pick you up in about 30. Does this mean you are going to the party tonight?"