Fifty Eight / Sparks

{unedited}

July 4th, 2013 (29 weeks, 0 days)

"So, have you two got everything for the baby yet?" Stephanie asks, stirring the cole slaw.

I stop decorating the cupcakes and smirk at her. "Technically yes, and no." She looks at me confused and I clarify. "Well, ever since we found out we were having a boy, he has gone insane with buying stuff. It's almost like he is me when I was pregnant with Aubree. We literally can't go anywhere without having to buy something for Luke."

Cheryl starts laughing while putting one of her amazing desserts in the oven. "I told you, he's wanted a Luke Sky Walker ever since he was a little kid."

It's hard to focus on decorating the cupcakes because I'm laughing too much. "Yeah, but I had no idea my husband was such a nerd."

"I heard that!" Paul yells from the living room.

Of course, us women are left doing the cooking for a family gathering. Ever since I became a part of this family, I learned that quickly. Just like any other Fourth of July, the guys are watching their sports and the kids are out on the beach. We decided to celebrate at the beach house instead of Paul's parent's house, mainly because the kids wanted to be on the beach.

It's weird for me to think of them as kids, especially Meadow. She will be fifteen four months from today, and I know that Paul is dreading it. He always tells her he is cleaning his shotgun for the first boy that comes along. Little does he know, that first boy has already happened. It was just between Meadow and I, and we wanted to keep it that way. Paul could be really protective, but Meadow needs a little space.

I move the cupcakes out of the way to give us more space to put the other food. By doing that, I get a glimpse of the ocean outside. Today is the perfect day to be celebrating our country's freedom. The sun is shining bright, making the ocean glisten as it moves. I could see the kids playing volleyball and having fun. Before I know it, this little one inside of me will be out there playing with his family.

Caleb walks in with Aubree on his hip. "Hey ladies, are we any closer to being finished?" He sits my daughter in one of the chairs on the breakfast bar. "They are being awfully slow, aren't they Aubree? We need them to speed up so we can eat!"

"Speed up! Speed up!" Aubree yells, grinning and bouncing in the seat.

I glare at Caleb. "Now I see why my daughter acts the way she does."

He holds his hands up in defense. "I'm not doing anything, am I Aubree?" She shakes her head.

Paul comes in and puts Caleb in a choke hold. "You're going down, brother! Not long before our annual competition!" He lets go of him and kisses the top of Aubree's head before sitting down next to her. Caleb follows suit and sits down on the other side of her.

Amie returns from the bathroom, not looking too happy. "Hey, has anyone talked to Cody today? Is he going to bring Felicia?" This family went through a lot when we was found out that Cody fathered Elizabeth. I don't recall most of it since I withdrew myself, but I can tell it still bothers some of them. They love Felicia, and they hate my sister. I'm right there with them.

Cheryl nods. "I talked to him last night. He said he was coming, but he didn't say if he was bringing Felicia or not. I just hope that he doesn't bring Sophie. No offense, sweetie," she says, patting my back.

I let out a short laugh. "Absolutely none taken." I don't want my sister here, either. She's too conniving and I would have to spend my holiday watching her instead of enjoying it. Believe me, I'm not about to do that.