Fifty Five / Fixing Broken Things

A/N: wasn't going to update today but I figured I would since today marks 19 months. I love you sweet angel<3

{unedited}

January 9th, 2013

"You haven't said anything since we left the house," Paul says softly, placing his hand on my thigh. Usually that little move would get me all flustered, but today I'm too distracted to think about that.

I glance at Meadow in the rear view mirror. She's listening to music on her phone and looking out the window. Aubree is asleep in her car seat, and she looks so precious. I focus back on driving, but Paul squeezes my thigh again. He wants an answer. "Well, what is there to say? You're having surgery and that scares me." A wave of sickness hits me, but I try to keep it down to focus on driving.

Paul chuckles a little, his smile on full display. Once he sees that I'm not laughing with him, his mouth forms a straight line. "It's just knee surgery, love. It's nothing."

Even though his type of surgery has been performed on thousands of people, it still doesn't calm my nerves. Anytime someone is put to sleep, it's a scary thing. It doesn't help the fact that his last surgery was removing the bullet that Jake had shot him with. "I know," I mumble, glancing at him and forcing a smile.

He readjusts himself in his seat, taking pressure off of his hurt knee. The grimace on his face makes tears sting in my eyes. I hate to see him in pain. "After the surgery I'll be as good as new. Maybe tonight we can do a little something, if you know what I mean." The little smirk he has breaks my mood, and I smile at him.

I glance back in the mirror before answering, making sure the girls aren't listening. "You really wanna do that after having surgery?"

He gives me a well duh look and leans over to kiss my cheek. "The surgeon said that the surgery won't last too long, and I can go home after I wake up." Paul looks out the window, and I grab his hand that is on my thigh.

"I love you, a lot." My eyes go back to the road, but I can feel his eyes on me.

"I love you too, baby. Don't worry about me, alright?" He gives me another kiss on the cheek, and I can hear a giggle in the back seat.

Aubree's beautiful blue eyes are bright and shining, with her wide smile to match. Every time I see her smile, it makes me smile too. Some days I still can't believe that I have her because she is a little miracle for surviving the car crash.

Paul reaches back and tickles her, causing her to squeal with laughter. "Does that tickle, sweet girl?" He laughs when Aubree tries to move out of his reach. Of course, she can't move much since she is in her car seat.

Meadow takes her earphones out and sighs. "Are you taking me to school or do I get to come to the hospital with you?"

"You're going to school, sweetie. It's an outpatient surgery so I won't be in the hospital long. Sierra will text you updates, right?" He asks, glancing at me for confirmation. I nod in reply, and Paul pats Meadow's knee.

"Please? I really want to be there for you," Meadow pleads.

Paul sighs and glances at me, asking the obvious question with his eyes. I shrug my shoulders, not really knowing what to say. "Are you going to miss any tests today?"

Meadow laughs. "Dad, we just got back from Christmas break. We won't be doing anything this week." She leans up into the front seat and bats her eyelashes, trying to convince us to let her go.

As soon as she does that, I'm convinced that she will get her way. She has Paul wrapped around her finger. Not that it's a bad thing though, it's actually really cute that Paul would do anything for his daughters.