Forty Three / Filling the Nest - Bird Two

August 3rd, 2011 (39 weeks, 0 days)

"Come on," Callie says, opening the car door for me. "We need to get you back to the house before Paul finds out you left!" She taps her foot anxiously as Meadow helps me into the car. Physically, Meadow has gotten so much better over the past few weeks. Mentally and emotionally, I'm a little worried. The nightmares are back.

Everyone is on edge. Every lead to find Jake has failed, making all of us frustrated and restless. It is really stressful, but I've tried to remove that from me for the sake of the baby. I don't know how I've made it this far into my pregnancy, considering the circumstances. The doctors didn't think I would because of the placenta being partly detached, but with all of the bedrest, I've made it here.

All three of us get into the car, and Callie drives off. "Do you think we'll make it?" she asks anxiously.

"Yeah, we will. Dad is at Uncle Rese's, so we will have plenty of time to get back," Meadow replies.

I sigh. "He shouldn't be mad anyways. I'm a week away from the due date, and I'm tired of being at the house. I needed to get out." Callie glances at me and I smile at her. "Thank you for doing this. And thank you Meadow for helping."

"Anything for my best friend and my goddaughter. Are you getting excited, Meadow?" She looks up at the rearview mirror.

"Yes, of course! But instead of talking about me, let's talk about that new guy you have been talking to! I seen you looking and smiling at your phone all throughout breakfast." Meadow leans up to the front seat so she can hear better.

We are both looking at Callie, awaiting her answer. I knew that she has been talking to somebody, but she has never opened up to me about it. It didn't offend me in any way, though. She will tell me whenever she is ready.

Callie looks at both of us apprehensively. "Well, I'm not quite sure what to say."

Meadow rolls her eyes. "Come on, there has got to be some juicy details! Is it serious? Where did you two meet?"

"You might as well tell us now, before we torture it out of you." I give her an evil smile. We would get it out of her before the end of the day. Meadow and I make a great team.

"Okay, fine. I'll tell you guys something, but just a little bit. Only if it gets you two to stop asking me," she mumbles, shooting us both dark looks.

I hold my fist up to Meadow. "Success," I whisper as she bumps my fist.

Callie sighs and begins. "Well, I guess you could say it's getting serious. We've been talking for a few months and we've been out on a few dates." She pauses and looks at me before continuing. "We met back in New York, so we've known each other for a while. But we are just now giving it a try."

I readjust myself in my seat. "You met in New York? Do I know him?"

"Yeah."

I try to think of all of the possibilities of who it could be. Some guys I eliminate quickly because I know they aren't her type. There are some others I can think of, but she had been on a date with them before and it didn't work out. They couldn't be the guy she's talking to. I can only narrow down the list to three choices. "Is it Aaron? Thomas? Or is it Lucas?"

She laughs. "Lucas? Really? Of course it's not him. Don't you remember that one office party when he tried to spike my drink?"

"Oh. I forgot about that." I giggle at the memory. Callie had slapped him and it made everyone's night. A lot of the people there didn't know what actually happened. Only Callie and our group of friends at the time knew what was going on. "Who is it then?"