Thirty Seven / Reflections

A/N: Happy Halloween!

December 31st, 2010

"Have a good time, sweetheart!" Paul yells as Meadow runs over to her friends. Once they go inside, Paul pulls the car away. "She's growing up way too fast. It seems like yesterday that she was just a baby," he sighs, shaking his head. "I missed out on so much."

I grab his free hand and squeeze it. "It's okay. She's here now and you have time to spend with her." I look to him for a response, but there's not really much of one. "I know what you're thinking. You think that you'll miss out with the baby because of acting. But that's not true. I know that you're going to be there for everything. Besides," I smirk, nudging him, "there is a lot of people that would kick your butt if you wasn't."

He laughs, relaxing a little. "Yeah, everybody would be on me. That is probably a good thing though, having someone keep me in line."

"Yeah. And it's a good thing you're taking a year off," I smile, leaning into him. Having him home for an entire year seemed like Heaven. He's always gone, so it will be really nice to have him around for a change.

Paul tenses back up. "Uh, yeah. About that."

I move off of him. "What? Are you talking about the promo tour for Fast Five?" I knew he would have to leave for that but he was supposed to be free for the rest of the year. The plan was to just relax as a family. But now that the baby is coming, this year would be spent preparing.

"I was offered a role," he mumbles, scratching the back of his head. Anytime he does that, it means that he's nervous or uncomfortable about something.

"When does it shoot?" I ask, a little apprehensively.

He glances at me quickly. "July through September."

I do the quick math in my head. From my last period, my due date would fall in August, right in the middle of the shoot. "You're seriously not thinking about taking it, are you? Do you realize that means you would miss the birth of our baby?"

"No, I wouldn't. I would come home for our baby. You know I wouldn't miss it for the world." He smiles at me, but I can't help but still feel angry with him. Even if he could come home, he would have to go back to film after a week.

I sigh. "Where does it film?" From the way he's approaching me with this, surely it will be close to home.

Paul scratches the back of his head again. "Well, it's in South Africa."

"South Africa? Are you kidding me?" I ask in disbelief. "How are you even considering this movie?" Tears are starting to come to my eyes. In all honesty, I felt like I was being abandoned. Paul would be here for most of the pregnancy, but he wouldn't be when I would need him the most. Yeah, he could come home, but movies didn't always work like that. I don't notice that what I was thinking is what I am saying until I see his shocked face.

"How could you even say that? I would never abandon you! When I made my vows to you, I was committing to you. I want to do work that I'm proud of and can provide for my family! I'm going to try my damned hardest to be the best father I can be, because this child deserves that." His fingers are gripping the steering wheel so hard it looks like he would break it off.

I didn't really know what to say to him, so I just stayed silent for the rest of the car ride. We were going to Tyrese's house for the Fast family New Year's party. It was pretty exciting, but unfortunately I won't get to party as much. However, the reward of having our baby far exceeds any kind of party their is. Our baby is my birthday, Christmas, and Valentine's Day present all into one.

It's not until Paul pulls up to Ty's house I realized how much I missed my other family. Even though we seen them on Meadow's birthday, it seems like it has been forever. I couldn't wait to gossip with Jordana and Michelle, but I would have to watch what I say tonight. I'm not that far along and we definitely don't want people to know yet.