Forty Five / Double Date

{unedited}
August 26th, 2011

Sighing in frustration, I throw my clothes down on the floor and head back into the closet. Paul's laughter follows me, making me roll my eyes. "It's not funny!" I yell at him. Grabbing another outfit, I quickly put it on, hoping that I'll actually look good in this one. We had to leave soon, and my outfit choices were getting slimmer by the minute. I walk out into the bedroom and twirl so Paul can see all of the outfit. "How about this one?"

He looks me up and down, nodding in approval. "I like it."

I stare at him for a few seconds then shake my head. "That's what you've said about the last seven outfits, Paul." I just so happen to catch my reflection in the mirror and I groan. "I can't fit into anything! I look awful!" Walking over to the mirror, I frown at what I see. I haven't been able to lose much baby weight, and it's really starting to get to me.

Paul shoots up off the bed, coming to my side. "Awful is a word that could never describe you." His hands slide around my hips, making me flinch for a second. Over the last few weeks we had both teased each other, and we've both about had it. Luckily, it'll be four weeks in a couple of days. I feel tons better now, but it's wise to just take the doctor's advice and wait. Paul's hands sliding to the button of my jeans instantly refocuses my attention. His chuckle makes my heart squeeze. "I for one think that you look rather beautiful, Mrs. Walker."

Again, I roll my eyes, but I can't stop the smile that plays on my lips. "I'm pretty sure you are required to say that." I turn around so I can put my arms around him. Being in my husband's embrace is one of the best feelings in the world. However, the worst feeling might be the one I'm having about this double date tonight. Am I over exaggerating? Perhaps. But I'm still not looking forward to it. "Are you sure we can't just stay in with the kids? It would be a lot more fun than the double date." I smile up at him but he just laughs at me.

"I don't think so. We agreed to go, so we're going." We hear the doorbell ring, followed by Meadow yelling that she has it. "That would be Caleb and Stephanie." He releases me from his embrace, but I follow close behind him.

"Actually, I didn't agree to go. You guilted me into it." I grab his hand and he sighs.

"Why are you being so pessimistic, love? Who knows, maybe we'll have a great time tonight." He squeezes my hand for encouragement, but it doesn't give me any. My mind is set on how I think tonight will be, and it probably won't change between now and the time we get there.

We walk down the hallway as I carefully choose my answer. It is a possibility that tonight could go well, but given all of the histories with everyone, I just don't see how it could be pushed aside all that easily. "Well, I have a good reason to be pessimistic when I've gained so much weight that I can't even fit into half of my clothes."

Paul kisses my cheek as we round the corner, where Caleb, Stephanie and Meadow stands. He takes the opportunity to lean over and whisper in my ear, "When the four weeks is over, we can do a lot more working out than usual."

Of course, my face turns blood red. I don't know why I always get flustered when something like that is said, and I don't think it will ever stop. Caleb and I happen to make eye contact and he bursts out laughing.

"I can see my brother has already embarrassed you over something, so I guess you're safe from me tonight." He smiles at me evilly as I give Meadow a hug.

Dismissing his stupidity, I turn to Stephanie and tell her everything she needs to know about Aubree. "You can sing her a lullaby to make her fall asleep. It knocks her right out. Call me if you need anything, and I mean anything. Don't hesitate to call." This is the first time I'm going to be away from my baby girl and it hurts me inside.