• The Priest •

It was hot. Boiling hot. We'd been walking for god knows how long and had no food or water. Perhaps it was the heat that was making Dad an angry mess, or maybe it was the fact that he couldn't boss me around as much since there were people around. Either way, everything seemed to set him off and it seemed both me and Daryl were the only ones to pay attention to it.

When we'd been introduced to the group properly it was clear people didn't take a liking to my Dad. I didn't blame them considering I could barely like him. I loved him of course, he was my father after all. But I hated the way he treated me and the way he made me feel. Everyone treated me well though, checking on me and trying to strike up conversation. It was strange going from the girl my dad raised me to be to the girl that secretly loved the affection.

There were a lot more people than I had originally thought there was. Rick had been reunited with his daughter Judith and his friends, and everyone was ecstatic. Turns out the explosion was from Daryl's best friend Carol, and I thanked her for helping which made me feel extremely awkward. I felt very out of place and Dad's unfazed demeanour made me feel even more uneasy but I continued to play it cool.

"We need to find food, and water," Rick told the group, as we all shuffled along the road.

My head was spinning with the heat and my arm constantly brushed against whoever was walking next to me. I didn't bother checking, even though I could see from the corner of my eye that they were looking at me. Whether it was to get some sort of reaction out of me or just because they were annoying, I didn't know.

As my feet carried me further we came to a stop at the sound of screams. I looked to my side finally, seeing Carl looking to the source of noise. He instantly took off running, much to Rick's dismay and we all ended up running after him. My small dagger in hand, I ran after the boy, quickly catching up to him, darting my eyes around to find the source of screams.

The sight before me made me surprised however. A man was there, in priest clothing and he was crying as a walker grabbed onto his foot from where he laid on a stone-like pedestal. We all sprung into action. Everyone apart from my dad. Of course.

I sprung my dagger into as many of the walkers as I could, but quickly got distracted. I felt hands grab my shoulders and moans by my ear and I nearly yelled, but I quickly heard the snarls stop, and the weight be pulled from me.

I spun, looking for whoever had saved me. Carl nodded at me and I smiled at him in thanks. He smiled back and I actually felt happy for a moment, until I felt a hand wrap around my forearm and pull me away. I could see everyone else in the group talking to the priest, and I quickly realised my mistake. I had smiled.

"The fuck at you playing at, huh?" My dad's angered voice spoke to me in a hushed manner as to not alert the others.

"What?" I asked, incredulously whilst also trying not anger him further. That was the last thing I wanted to do.

"First, you go running off to help a stranger. Second, you're smiling at that boy?!" I could see the veins on his forehead and I recoiled at the fact I'd actually smiled at him.

How could I have been so stupid?

"He saved me, I wanted to thank him," I mumbled, and turned my head down as to not meet his gaze.

"Maybe he shouldn't have," he sneered and I felt my heart sink at his words. "What have I always taught you? Don't. Show. Weakness. And what are you doing? Showing weakness. And soon as they see you drop your guard then we're both fucked."

"Isn't that what we did with Richard?" I didn't intend for it to sound like I was arguing back.

His grip on my forearm tightened and I winced, knowing that it would leave a bruise. I kept my head down and blinked back the tears that threatened to form. I closed my eyes tightly, and looked backup at him, my face blank with no evidence that I was upset.