• Repercussions •

After the meeting, things had been on edge. I'd met Morgan, someone very different to myself. He was a good man and I could see that, but his whole "every life is precious" mantra was totally stupid. I mean, I got it, save the right person they might save you, but you can't take chances like that anymore, not without a cost. Sure, saving people is good, but people like Pete can't change.

I sat next to Ron in his room, his deck of cards lay untouched on his dresser. He hadn't spoken at all, simply letting me in the room and sitting down on his bed. I hoped my presence alone would help him through his grief since I couldn't find the words to say to help.

"Why doesn't Father Gabriel like you?" Ron broke the silence and I was stunned he had even spoke; I hadn't expected him to at all.

"He's a pussy," I said, and he smiled softly before looking back at the floor.

"No, seriously," he said and I couldn't even think of an answer.

I rarely spoke to Gabriel, he didn't seem to like my presence. He always found an excuse to leave the area if I was there.

"My dad was a lot like your dad. Only without the whole 'surgeon' thing going on. He just piggybacked off of other people so I guess Gabriel thinks I'm the same. I don't really know."

"Your dad was like mine?" Ron seemed awfully excited when he said that, almost enthusiastic.

"Mhm," I answered shortly, trying to stop my mind from wandering to places it shouldn't.

"What um... did Rick," Ron trailed off. "Did Rick kill him too?"

"No," I said bluntly.

I didn't want Ron thinking that Rick was just a father killer because that wasn't true at all, though part of me wishes that he was. It would've made my time a lot easier. Ron seemed confused, deep in thought.

"I did."

It was silent, the only sound being Ron's almost inaudible gasp.

"Why?" He said quietly, not even daring to meet my eyes.

"He was a bad man and I guess nature decided he wasn't going to get the chance to actually get rid of me. The point is, bad people don't get second chances, and I'm going to be honest, no one's probably going to bring your dad up." He looked down, tears brimming in his eyes. "They'll act like he doesn't exist and you'll just be expected to do the same, especially since he kind of offed Reg."

"But he did exist," Ron quipped frustratedly and for once I understood someone.

"I know. But they never saw the good bits like you did, they only got to see the bad parts, and that's why the decision was easy for them," I answered. "Doesn't make them right but you know."

The awkwardness was almost growing thicker as I sat there with Ron. Our dads were very different yet very similar. I only knew what I'd been told, and that was enough for me. Call it unfair judgement but I knew an asshole when I saw one.

—————

I liked being a part of the 'adult' conversations. I knew I was technically still considered a child in their eyes so the fact they trusted me enough to be involved in what would happen in Alexandria actually meant a lot to me.

"Now what I'm proposing, I know it sounds risky, but walkers are already slipping through the exits. One of the trucks keeping the walkers in could go off the edge any day now. Maybe after one more hard rain. That exit sends them east. All of them. Right at us. This isn't about if it gives, it's when. It's gonna happen. That's why we have to do this soon," Rick said, and Alexandrians seemed to recoil at the idea of a herd of walkers coming our way.