• Jacks, Twos and Eights •

I sat cross legged in between Ron and Carl, seven cards in my hand. Carl had five, and held them tightly to his chest so we couldn't see what was on them, Ron had three, Enid sat in the corner not playing and Mikey had four. I hated this game.

"Skip a go," Ron said, placing down a card with an '8' on in black writing.

I huffed, keeping my cards in hand whilst Carl now took his go, placing down a black '2'.

"Pick up 2 cards," he told Mikey who picked up two more cards off of the pile without argument.

"I don't get it, why do different cards do different things?" I asked frustratedly, trying to keep myself together.

"Because that's the game. Jacks change the house, 2's mean you pick up two, and 8's mean you can't play. Jacks, Twos and Eights." Ron explained, placing down a card of the same colour, instead with a 4.

Carl peaked at my cards, and pointed at one of my cards. I looked back at the card Ron placed. A black card with a four. Mine was a red card with a four. I looked at him hesitantly and he slid it out of my hand and placed it. It was then his go, and he placed down a red five.

"What? You can't help her, that's cheating," Mikey complained, throwing down his card.

"It's only till she gets the hang of the game," Carl said, motioning to my two.

I tilted my head, slightly confused. That would make Carl need to pick up two cards. I looked at him and he nodded so I put it down. He put down another two, which Mikey complained at.

"That's so not fair, you knew what that'd do!" He complained, picking up four cards.

"Calm down Mikey, it's not the end of the world," Ron joked, picking up a card from the pile.

Me and Carl withheld our snickers, and I realised just how fun it was to just let loose for a bit. I realised Carl didn't stick his word like before because even once I had got a hang of the game he continued to peak at my cards and show me which one to place. Even though sometimes it meant that he'd gain more cards.

"Last card," I said confidently, as I watched Carl and Ron place there cards.

All I needed was a club or spade, or a seven. That was all I needed. Mikey looked at me with a look of worry in his eyes. He looked between his cards, trying to decide which would be best to place so I couldn't win.

After a moment of contemplation he put down a club. A six, to be precise and I slapped my last card down quickly jumping up and high-fiving Carl. I quickly sat back down, desperate to see who would win next. Even though I'd won, they still played on in order to see who was last.

It was Mikey of course, Ron and Carl both secretly helped each other which resulted in Mikey leaving in a strop. Throughout our game, none of us had noticed Enid's departure and I felt slightly guilty for that. When we'd offered her to play she declined, turning away from us and picking up a comic which didn't look remotely interesting.

"I'm gonna go see if Glenn's back, you coming?" Carl said after sliding the cards back into their small box.

"She'll catch up to you," Ron quickly interrupted and I raised my eyebrows.

"Is that okay with you?" Carl asked me to which I shrugged and he hesitantly left.

"What the he-."

Ron quickly interrupted me, as soon as I nearly finished my sentence, "have you spoke to her yet? To Enid?"

"No." I answered flatly, ready to move around him and catch up to Carl when he stepped in front of me, making my stomach drop.

"When are you going to?" He asked.

I shoved him out of my way, "When I feel like it, now back off," I answered, my heart hammering in my chest as I rushed out the house.

As I left the house, I couldn't see Carl, but I could see people gathered around Glenn, and another person who I didn't know the name to. I frowned and jogged over, just in time to hear Deanna speaking to the man.

"Why the hell did you let these people in?" He asked angrily.

I stood watching what was going on, trying to look for someone who could give me answers as to what was going on. I picked up easily though when I realised it was just a battle of who had the biggest balls.

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there," Glenn answered, and I snickered.

"Aiden!" Deanna yelled, as Aiden threw a punch at Glenn, to which Glenn easily ducked and countered, landing a punch on Aiden quickly.

I wanted to cheer but was knocked out of the way as Rick and Daryl jumped into the action. I stepped back, as to not get involved in the fight and played with the drawstring of my pants. I still remained in my pyjamas, and I was glad I was because as I stood watching Aiden be choked on the floor by Daryl, I could feel my skin crawl. The loose, soft fabric against my legs helped me feel less claustrophobic.

Rick talked Daryl down and Aiden was pulled away. Tara moved beside me, blowing out a huff of air as she folded her arms.

"Glad that's over," she answered, and I looked up at her through tired eyelids.

I nodded. I didn't know when we'd ever get a break from the violence and that somewhat soothed me. Having a break would mean that loads of it would come at once, but if it kept coming it would be at a steady pace. I hoped.

I walked away, trying to find Carl. I hated how much I enjoyed his company now. The more I wanted to be around him the more bored I was when I wasn't and that wasn't something I wanted to get used to. Instead of continuing my search for the long haired boy, I walked around looking for someone else's company.

I tried thinking of someone who would keep me company but everyone seemed busy. I couldn't find Rosita, and Tara just seemed on edge. I could maybe look for Abraham; the ginger always had something funny to say, mostly things considered controversial to the Alexandrians. As I continued to think, I walked straight into Tyreese.

"Staying out of trouble?" He asked with a smile and I nodded.

"Think so. I won my first card game," I boasted slightly, and he smiled largely.

"Really? What one?" He asked, and I grinned.

"Twos, Eights and Jacks."

He laughed, and I didn't know why until he corrected me, "you mean Jacks, Twos and Eights? I like that one, who'd you play with?"

"Carl, Ron and Mikey," I answered, and me and Tyreese began to walk; to where, I didn't know, I just followed him anyway.

"You get on well with them?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Sort of. They're annoying, but it's better when Carl's there because I don't have to talk to them as much."

Tyreese laughed, and we continued to talk until I realised we were outside the house, walking up the porch steps.

"Why'd that guy try to punch Glenn?" I asked and Tyreese pursed his lips slightly, before walking into the living room.

"From what I know, Aiden isn't a team player. But Rick will fix things so don't you worry your little head, alright?" He patted my shoulder and left and this time I didn't follow.

I liked Tyreese, he was comforting and calm. He actually seems like he wants me around sometimes, trying to get to know me and such. I hope he does like me since he's someone I'd grown to care a lot for.