• Sleepless Nights •

Before I had went to sleep I had heard the shuffling of people getting comfy and the light footsteps outside the house on the porch. It seemed I was the only one to notice it at first, but soon realised it to be Daryl, taking watch for the night. I hadn't expected him to settle in as quick as some of the others so it didn't surprise me to notice this.

Despite my yearning for sleep, my eyes wouldn't allow themselves to rest. I forced my eyes closed once again, trying to keep them as still as possible as if that would somehow force my body to become unconscious and grant me my wish of peace. It didn't work though, so I decided to get up, pushing the blanket off of my legs and looking around.

Everyone was laid out on the floor asleep, some rolling over to get more comfy. I happened to have set up my bed in the least crowded area but there was still people blocking my exit. Abraham laid next to Rosita, an arm sling behind his head and I held my breath as I stepped over him. I expected him to wake up as I accidentally nudged his shoulder with my foot but he stayed asleep, merely grumbling under his breath.

Releasing my breath, I entered the kitchen. I lifted the window above the sink and climbed up onto the counter and slid myself through the opening. I landed on my feet with a small thud and sat down beneath the window, my knees brought up to my chest. It seemed that since being here I had an overwhelming weight on my chest that just wouldn't budge and I knew exactly why.

I felt slightly more at ease without Dad here because I wasn't getting hurt anymore and I knew everyone was safer without him with us but I also couldn't help the guilt that consumed me. It almost felt like I missed the chaos he'd bring; it gave me the comfort of familiarity. Now that he was gone, everything changed, for the better and for the worse.

The dark sky had stars distributed with the small glow of the moon that shone through the misty clouds. The moon actually lit up quite a fair bit of Alexandria, letting me see the other houses from where I sat on the floor. The cold brisk air nipped at my bare arms and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. I knew Daryl couldn't either, so I had to be quiet so he knew I hadn't snook out.

Standing up, I glanced around before making my way to the wall. I couldn't even hear the faint groans of the dead and part of me was longing to be out there with them. I was used to fighting them, and now that I wasn't I was scared I'd forget how to. What if I got too comfortable and then got myself killed because of it?

Maybe if I went for a run around the walls, out of view from everyone, I would tire myself out and be able to sleep. With that thought, I began my jog along Alexandria, following the walls and having to slow a moment to make sure my slippers wouldn't fall off. The constant slowing down made me annoyed, so instead I just took them off and ran barefoot, holding them in my hands as I went.

It could've been the grass under my feet that made my heart jump, or it could've just been the fact I was on edge, but either way I stopped in my tracks. I looked around, not seeing anyone and hesitantly began my jog again. It was stupid to ignore it, and I knew it as soon as I turned around again to check.

Nothing was behind me, but something was in front of me. I crashed into something, a walker or a person, I didn't even know but I was quick to roll off them and grab a rock just incase. I was on my feet in an instant and raised the rock above my head. I stopped when I saw Ron, wide eyed on the floor.

"Jesus, Amelia, it's just me," he whisper shouted and I dropped the rock with a sigh.

He propped himself up on his elbows, looking up at me with a frown mixed with a smile.

"What the fuck Ron?" I whispered angrily, kicking him lightly in the shins as I ran my hand through my hair. "You can't tell anyone you saw me," I warned.