• Risks We Have To Take •

Things had gone badly. Carol had left and Morgan and Rick took to try and find her. They didn't come back with her. Maggie was ill. Really ill. I'd heard people saying they were worried she'd lose the baby and my heart had dropped when I'd heard the news. This baby would be the future, just like Judith. They were who we were fighting for, who we wanted to build safety and a home for.

Michonne, Daryl, Glenn and Rosita were gone. Carol was gone. The group and my life were slowly falling apart and I had no idea what to do about it. And so here I was, sat down nervously in the RV on the way to Hilltop to get Maggie to a doctor. I was sat on the floor, in between Abraham's legs as he sat on the chair. I had my head rested on his knee, hoping it would bring me any form of comfort whilst hearing Maggie in pain. I fiddled with Tyreese's hat in my hands. He didn't speak much, his focus was on Maggie, making sure she was okay. He'd came over every now and then to check on me but I could see just how flustered he was as well.

"Go back," I heard Rick say, and I tuned back into the reality of what was going on.

The road was blocked. I knew things would go horribly now. There was just no way things would go our way when we needed it most. I calmed my breathing, and listened to the sound of the wheels on the road outside hoping it would ease my mind of all the endless possibilities that I was thinking of.

I listened absentmindedly as Eugene spoke about a plan. He would wait till nightfall and drive the RV as a distraction. Then, we would take Maggie to Hilltop on foot. Tyreese came and stood in front of me, his hand resting on my bouncing knee.

"What would you rather do? Stay with Eugene or come with? Wherever you go, I'll go," he said, which made me feel better knowing he'd be with me either way.

I noticed that everyone else was going with Maggie, which made me worry about Eugene slightly. He had no fighting abilities really, and it was guaranteed that he'd run into the Saviours since he'd be bait.

"Eugene. We can help him when it comes down to it. Hopefully put up a good enough fight to buy Maggie more time."

She smiled weakly at me, and I did the same. As much as I wanted to be there by her side, it would be useless if the Saviours beat down Eugene quick enough to catch up to her. Tyreese looked at me wearily. I could see he didn't fully agree with my choice.

————————

"Are you sure you want to go with Eugene?" Carl asked me.

We had moved to the back of the RV, away from all of the adults so we could talk. There were a few glances shared back at us as they discussed what would happen.

"I'm sure. Hopefully we can buy you enough time to help Maggie," I said, and he nodded.

"Please stay safe. I can't lose you," Carl said, and as I looked into his eye all I could see was fear.

It wasn't often you saw actual fear in Carl. He was relatively good at hiding it so I was shocked to say the least.

"Stay alive, please," I said, nearly a whisper.

I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if we lost anyone in the group, but knowing there was the possibility I could lose Carl really shook me to my core. He held my hands tight in his own before he stood up, pulling me to my feet. He wrapped me in a hug, letting me bury my head in his chest. I could feel his head in my hair, sighing as we both heard Rick cough.

He pulled away to look at his dad. I peeked up over my hair at him to see him looking at us.

"It's time to go, son," he said.

I bit my lip nervously. I didn't want them to go, I was scared they wouldn't come back. Carl's hands gently held my cheeks, lifting my face to look at him.